Passed GCIH

MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
The GCIH was my second course in the Sans masters program and I passed it with a 90%.

How I study for Sans courses:

* Quick run through of all the books (I will usually read all the slides, some of the material below the slides, and only make notes if it seems super important). This stage is just about reviewing what I will be learning.

* 2 run through. During this stage: I will re-read every slide and all the material underneath it, highlight key parts, and use post-it's for sections I can almost guarantee that will be on the test.

* 3rd run through: This is when I actually take notes (type them out). At this point, you should be super comfortable with the books and know where most topics are. Example: "Oh rootkits, book 5", "XXS, book 4"...etc. Knowing which book a topic is in is key.

* Step 4, go through the labs

* Step 5, practice exam

I'll be fully honest and say I didn't use this exact method for the GCIH but I did for the GSEC. I should of studied more for the exam but the GSEC gave me too much confidence 🙄
Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

Comments

• Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The GCIH was my second course in the Sans masters program and I passed it with a 90%.

How I study for Sans courses:

* Quick run through of all the books (I will usually read all the slides, some of the material below the slides, and only make notes if it seems super important). This stage is just about reviewing what I will be learning.

* 2 run through. During this stage: I will re-read every slide and all the material underneath it, highlight key parts, and use post-it's for sections I can almost guarantee that will be on the test.

* 3rd run through: This is when I actually take notes (type them out). At this point, you should be super comfortable with the books and know where most topics are. Example: "Oh rootkits, book 5", "XXS, book 4"...etc. Knowing which book a topic is in is key.

* Step 4, go through the labs

* Step 5, practice exam

I'll be fully honest and say I didn't use this exact method for the GCIH but I did for the GSEC. I should of studied more for the exam but the GSEC gave me too much confidence 

Well done regardless! Excellent marks and shows you really know the material! 504 is a fun course for sure! What did you think of GSEC? I am going to bite the bullet next year finally and take it. I'm taking GWAPT right now and my office is sending me to SEC503 here soon. So hopefully after that pass, just need GSEC to round out the GSE without needing to get those Securing Windows/Linux ones they have. What is next for your Masters program?
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So the GSEC wasn't "hard" per se but they do ask detailed questions that most likely you'll need to review your book...and that course has 6 books, so it can get exhausting. If you know how to study for Sans certs, you'll be good.

GWAPT is next, I'm taking the class in-person starting Monday...then it's off to SEC503/GCIA.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So the GSEC wasn't "hard" per se but they do ask detailed questions that most likely you'll need to review your book...and that course has 6 books, so it can get exhausting. If you know how to study for Sans certs, you'll be good.

GWAPT is next, I'm taking the class in-person starting Monday...then it's off to SEC503/GCIA.

Looks like we are on the same war path! I have 9 of these certs already, so the tests are nothing really new. I'm just dreading a 5 hour long test...I took GAWN when it was still a 4 hour one (same with GCIH) and it just taxes your brain so much with only 1 break.

My next 4 (just to really see if we line up lol)

SEC542 (Current)
    SEC503
    SEC478 (New OSINT course)
    MGT514