Options

LA vs San Jose advice ?

masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I recently moved from Boston to LA and I just landed a pretty good gig - 6 months contract to hire - as a Incident Manager in Santa Monica. My past work experiences are NOC and Network Analyst. The pay is decent (85K/year as a contract, 100K/year if I get hired).

However, doing some research, based on cost of living and quality of life, I hear that San Jose, CA I could get a higher pay for the same job positions here in LA.

I found that an apartment here in LA (North Hollywood) is about the same as San Jose area. I pay $2100 for 2br/2bath.

I am looking for you all personal opinion. Do you think its worth it to try moving to San Jose ? At this point in my life, I am looking to save as much as I can money wise for investments.

How is the job market in San Jose area for Incident Managers, Network Eng. and NOC ? How is quality of life compared to L.A area ?

PS: my opinion about LA is that its too crowded for me and I would prefer somewhere more laid back.

Thank you all!

Comments

• Options
    rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live in San Jose. The job market is great here although there is a lot of competition. I would say the Bay Area in general is a lot nicer and less crowded than LA.
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    I work in Milpitas (San Jose area) and am from San Francisco, and I would be amazed if you got a 2br/2ba apartment here for $2100. That's almost unheard of. Maybe a 1 br if you're lucky. The quality of life here is deteriorating due to the large influx of tech workers. Housing prices are simply insane. Insane. My wife and I were thrown out of our 1600 square foot, cheaply built rental townhouse by someone who purchased it for $1.5 million last year. They could probably get $1.8 by now for the same townhouse. The traffic here is reaching LA-levels. It's impossible to get anywhere. My commute is currently 1.5 hours each way, partly by train and partly by car. The car portion used to be 20 minutes on 237 but now takes 50 minutes. That happened within a year. The trains are overcrowded. The infrastructure cannot handle the number of people here. Look, I love the area and it's my home, but I cannot agree with rj1790. It's a mess up here and I wouldn't recommend moving here at all. It's true, though, the job market is good, but it comes with a price, literally.