Options

Looking for a job in computer networking ?

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, i am currently working towards my degree in computer networking at the university of southern MS. I am studying over the summer towards my CCNA, aside from that though i was wondering how important it would be for me to invest my time in windows server. I have had finished all my windows server classes through school but basically all i know is how to add roles and features which isn't really all that much. I have talked to other people that already work in the computer networking field that just focus on the CCNA CCNP area which is allot, almost seems to me that that's a career field in its own alone. Other friends i know that stopped at an AAS in computer networking and ended up getting a job have told me that everything we learned in school is useless and that's no how the computer networking field is. So i end up getting confused on what im supposed to really focus on, i know id rather work at McDonalds than be a programmer and have to take multiple programming classes, aside from that im thinking i should just focus on CCNA and windows server, as much as i can at least cause there is allot of material that covers windows server, my IT instructor even told me he just uses the group policy books as a reference cause there is just to much information to cram in ones head. When it comes down to it im just really worried about most of the material not sticking in my head cause i took powershell when i was at a junior college level and now cant remember any of cause i dont use it, thats basically how the whole school thing is, take a class, dont use while learning philosophy and math and some other IT course and end up forgetting it. Also, does anyone know why i would half to constantly reset my wireless network adapter card, my girlfriends computer keeps getting erros when connected and i right click the icon and select troubleshoot, it seems to work afterwards but i thought it was interesting that after 4 years of school is thats all i really know how to do when troubleshooting a computer.

Comments

• Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Hello, i am currently working towards my degree in computer networking at the university of southern MS. I am studying over the summer towards my CCNA, aside from that though i was wondering how important it would be for me to invest my time in windows server.

If your goal is strictly networking, windows server will not benefit you. If you are looking long term and see yourself moving around the IT world, windows server is very instrumental. Lots of ambiguous titles these days and many blurred lines of responsibilities. You may apply for a networking job that requires you have some knowledge in system administration. Or it may be a preferred qualification. It never hurts to know more than what's required.
    I have had finished all my windows server classes through school but basically all i know is how to add roles and features which isn't really all that much.

Learning doesn't stop once you leave the classroom. Google, YouTube. Go buy a book on Microsoft Azure or an MCSA book and read it when you're bored.
    I have talked to other people that already work in the computer networking field that just focus on the CCNA CCNP area which is allot, almost seems to me that that's a career field in its own alone.

It kind of is, but again, every location can vary. Because you're new, you may start entry level and you will be required to unlock active directory accounts and activate ports.
    Other friends i know that stopped at an AAS in computer networking and ended up getting a job have told me that everything we learned in school is useless and that's no how the computer networking field is.

Too many variables to consider this absolute. It depends if you work strictly on access devices, or are you dealing with dist/core layers.
    So i end up getting confused on what im supposed to really focus on, i know id rather work at McDonalds than be a programmer and have to take multiple programming classes, aside from that im thinking i should just focus on CCNA and windows server, as much as i can at least cause there is allot of material that covers windows server, .

Nothing wrong with this method. If you want to move up in networking, go for CCNP levels.
    my IT instructor even told me he just uses the group policy books as a reference cause there is just to much information to cram in ones head. When it comes down to it im just really worried about most of the material not sticking in my head cause i took powershell when i was at a junior college level and now cant remember any of cause i dont use it, thats basically how the whole school thing is, take a class, dont use while learning philosophy and math and some other IT course and end up forgetting it.

Remember. Learning doesn't end when you leave the classroom. If you expect to excel in networking, or any IT job, you will always and should always keep learning. Reason why most of us are on this site in the first place.

Also, does anyone know why i would half to constantly reset my wireless network adapter card, my girlfriends computer keeps getting erros when connected and i right click the icon and select troubleshoot, it seems to work afterwards but i thought it was interesting that after 4 years of school is thats all i really know how to do when troubleshooting a computer.

Run wireshark and figure out what's causing the reset. Check the logs on the wireless router. Maybe having DHCP issues. Could be the security setting. Google. Troublshoot. Maybe update the driver. The firmware on the router. This is your chance to leave the comfort zone and have some fun figuring it out.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya, just find it difficult keeping up with the material when im spending every spare hour i have in the math lab learning calculus, iv never been a math person, barley passed with a C, and that was all my free time. I never really have any board time to kill.
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya, just find it difficult keeping up with the material when im spending every spare hour i have in the math lab learning calculus, iv never been a math person, barley passed with a C, and that was all my free time. I never really have any board time to kill.

It's hard to find time to study certs when you've got a full load of distractions at school already. I never got any certs while at university because university was enough to keep me busy. If I had it to do over again, I might have done something like WGU, where getting certs is actually part of the degree program.

In any case, know your own limitations and don't overload yourself. Burn out doesn't help anyone, and I say that from experience.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S