no-refresh interval and scavenging

this concept is sinking in, but taking longer than I would like and not feeling very confident that i know it inside and out. here is my basic understanding, and if anyone can explain it to me i would like that:

only used with dynamic updates. aging enabled first at server level, this applies timestamp to dynamic dns record. then no-refresh (if scavenging enabled at server level and zone level) ticks away during this time not allowing updates, after no-refresh the refresh ticks away during which updates are allowed, if auto scavenging is enabled and record not updated it is blasted out of the dns DB.

so if host b gets an ip and the computer name changes it can't update it's dns record until after the no-refresh interval has passed?? this seems odd since the default is 7 days? also, the auto scavenge option has a time to run as well, does this countdown start after the expiration of the "refresh" counter or is this just every "x" days?

Thanks,

Got five weeks until D-Day and I am just trying to iron out any kinks.
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Comments

• baracusbaracus Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    chuchuchu wrote:
    this concept is sinking in, but taking longer than I would like and not feeling very confident that i know it inside and out. here is my basic understanding, and if anyone can explain it to me i would like that:

only used with dynamic updates. aging enabled first at server level, this applies timestamp to dynamic dns record. then no-refresh (if scavenging enabled at server level and zone level) ticks away during this time not allowing updates, after no-refresh the refresh ticks away during which updates are allowed, if auto scavenging is enabled and record not updated it is blasted out of the dns DB.

so if host b gets an ip and the computer name changes it can't update it's dns record until after the no-refresh interval has passed?? this seems odd since the default is 7 days? also, the auto scavenge option has a time to run as well, does this countdown start after the expiration of the "refresh" counter or is this just every "x" days?

Thanks,

Got five weeks until D-Day and I am just trying to iron out any kinks.

Correct me if I am wrong...The Scavenging properties (No-Refresh and Refresh time) deal only with time stamp updates, not the dynamic host record updates....so a host can update its record as many times as its name needs to be changed. This is as long as the SIDS do not change on the machine, in which case it would create a new record as it does not have NTFS access to its old record which would soon get stale and be deleted. As for the scavenging, when a record is not refreshed, it becomes "stale" and is deleted when the scavenging interval runs or scavenging is manually run. A record also has the option to be automatically deleted after becoming stale from using the records properties. Hope this helps.
  • JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Baracus,

"Correct me if I am wrong...The Scavenging properties (No-Refresh and Refresh time) deal only with time stamp updates, not the dynamic host record updates...."

The Aging/Scavenging properties apply to all dynamically updated records. Manually added records will receive a time stamp value of 0 and will not age.

"so a host can update its record as many times as its name needs to be changed"

Yes, provided that it does not occur within the No-Refresh time period.

"This is as long as the SIDS do not change on the machine, in which case it would create a new record as it does not have NTFS access to its old record which would soon get stale and be deleted."

Yup, only the computer who created the record is authorized to update it.

"As for the scavenging, when a record is not refreshed, it becomes "stale" and is deleted when the scavenging interval runs or scavenging is manually run."

Yup, only the refresh interval value will determine when a record becomes stale. At this point, automatic deletion of these stale records will occur if the Automatic Scavenging of Stale Records on the Advanced tab of the DNS Server properties is enabled. You can also opt to manually delete them as you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

JLuna