Options

How to ask my boss for a pay raise

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been working for my company here in Hawaii for more than two years already, and I love my job. My boss gives me praises for my hard and excellent work, and I like my co-workers.

The problem is that I am making $60K as a mid-level software developer, which is considered "minimum wage" here in Hawaii (and below the average salary for software developers on the U.S. Mainland with the same number of years of experience as me, which is 5 years). I was supposed to have a performance review in December, but I think my boss forgot, so I have not had any performance reviews since I started working for my company.

Ever since I have been working for my company, I have earned 8 certifications (including CSSLP and CASP), and I would like to ask for a pay raise, say, $25K more. How do I approach my boss about it? Have you had any experience asking for a raise after achieving a certification and also for excellent performance. I would like to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions. Thanks!
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have five years of experience but only two with your current employer. How does your current salary compare to your previous job?
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It always is a slippery slope...I would gather all of the praised info (if in email format), a list of successful projects completed, obviously your certs gained, and tell him you are being offered a new job with a considerable pay raise & thinking about taking it...Present to them about the pros/cons of your current position and of the new job....like the cost of living is cheaper (maybe), and that you would like to stay there, but they need to be more competitive in order for you to stay. But be prepared to be shot down, but if you do get a raise go celebrate! GOOD LUCK!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish you luck . I earned CASP,CEH,CISSP,CSM in Honolulu and my boss said "Ah that's nice ...good job" Hawaii is a tough market.

I would start with a list of key accomplishments which showed you always did more than you were paid to do . How you always went the extra mile. I would always ask my employees when they came looking for a raise” Can you show me what you have done which lets me know you are already working a level which requires or warrants more money? Have you taken on extra projects or volunteered to do anything above your current job role etc..

Also if your company paid for any of those certs or boot camps or exams it will be a hard sell… Because As I employer I would say something like “Well I paid to send you to the class … it was understood you would pass, how is this something outstanding or different from what was expected.”

I just left Hawaii.. lived and worked there for 10 years.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I can't speak for the market of Hawaii, but it seems that your boss is aware of your excellence.

No harm in being honest with your boss, while being nice & professional, that you have financial commitment and you would like to know if there is an opportunity in the company for you to get a raise whether thro your current position or by taking on more responsibilities
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What everyone else has said, and I would also highlight the fact that you haven't received your scheduled review in which you'd likely have gotten a raise. Ask for your number, and if you can't get it but are comfortable with what's offered, request it be retroactive to your scheduled review date.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is blackmailing them out of the question? icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ this guy is going places.
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Unless you really like your job and are tied down to living there, I would suggest finding a new job on the mainland. Software devs are making a killing here, especially ones with your credentials and experience.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @McxRisley I agree ... just move that is what I did and it is working out great.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree with McxRisley - I would suggest you find a new job and if you can't relocate look at telecommute options. When you have to start asking for a raise, it's time to get out imo.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The soft approach - " Boss, im concerned that my salary is not properly bench marked to the local industry"

The hard approach - " Boss, it will be much cheaper to give me a raise now, rather than find my replacement."
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    I always hate to do it, but you need to look out for yourself. It always feels awkward, but I can say as a manager myself that I am constantly inundated with requests like this--be it pay increases, special time off, requests for stock, promotions, etc. Managers get a bit numb to it, if they have any experience, so they shouldn't take it personally. At the end of the day it is a business transaction. My employees of a given grade level are all very close in salary because we want to target market rate. If we pay below, we lose people. If, as you say, you are getting paid below market rate, that logically means you are employable somewhere else. So, you present the facts, you say X is market rate for an engineer of my skill, and they either go for it or they don't. If they don't, you either deal with it or you move on. Just be matter of fact about it and let things fall where they may.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In addition to what the others said, any request for pay increase should be backed by examples of the value you bring to the table which helps make a good business case for them paying you more.
  • Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat as the OP, I was told last week by my IT Director that he was meeting with the CFO this week to discuss my raise. We discussed when I was hired that a raise was very possible, contingent on me passing my CCNA, which I did in April. Friday I'm going to see where he's at with it. The bummer is from the research I've done, CCNA's in Metro areas make ~35/hr and Non-Metro areas are ~25, I don't think I'm going to get a $9/hr raise, but we will see I guess. I've been getting hit pretty hard by recruiters since I added it to my resume so I can shake things up if I have to.
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice! My boss is on vacation this week, and I will be too for the next two weeks. When I return, I will go to his office and ask him when we can meet for a performance review and also to discuss the possibility of getting a raise. :)
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science