GWAPT - Software Development Knowledge Needed?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I hope all is well with everyone. I'm slated to go to Vegas for the GWAPT course and I have an important question.

Well, 2 questions.

First. Is it bad that I don't have software development knowledge? I can read code, and I know the surface of coding (extremely basic programs), but I have never coded anything above a program that takes input and just does a basic output.

Second. Is anyone else going to Vegas?

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You don’t need to be a coding guru for the course. In general the course is more about breaking into a finished product based on things like business logic or vulnerabilities in configurations...not about code review.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm so relieved to hear that!
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Hey all,

I hope all is well with everyone. I'm slated to go to Vegas for the GWAPT course and I have an important question.

Well, 2 questions.

First. Is it bad that I don't have software development knowledge? I can read code, and I know the surface of coding (extremely basic programs), but I have never coded anything above a program that takes input and just does a basic output.

Second. Is anyone else going to Vegas?

Don't worry about reading code too much in-depth. Yes, you'll need to know what is maybe going on in a screenshot or exercise, but it isn't like you need to be able to fully write it.

I will also be in Vegas! I am taking the new OSINT course.
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't need to know how to code but at the very least I would go through a quick review in HTML, CSS, and JS. The more you know about web apps and coding, the more you will get out of the course. For example, you will probably be able to understand the XSS section even though there is coding involved but knowing JS will allow you to be more creative in the labs and bounce questions/ideas off of the instructor.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can code extremely simple things and I understand the logic when reading code, so I think I should be fine.
    Thank you so much for the responses guys!
  • haldawashaldawas Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you can read code then you are fine