Options

Working for named firm (bank) vs no name small company

zefszefs Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
i would like to know if there is any benefit when it comes HR and recruiters looking at your resume that if you have worked for a named firm (Bank) vs a small company who he most likely of never even heard of.?
Basically does working for named known companies help put weigh in your resume? or does it not really matter in IT world.?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Big names help for sure. Whether it should help or not is a different story, but it helps get you recognized.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    zefs wrote: »
    Hi,
    i would like to know if there is any benefit when it comes HR and recruiters looking at your resume that if you have worked for a named firm (Bank) vs a small company who he most likely of never even heard of.?
    Basically does working for named known companies help put weigh in your resume? or does it not really matter in IT world.?

Thanks

It does matter. If you're applying for another large company, they want to know if you can operate in a large scale environment.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's plus and minuses to both environments. On the small side, you far more likely to be exposed to several different technologies, such as Switches, Firewalls, IDS, etc. the down side is usually there really isn't time to specialize an any one area. On the large side, you'll be responsible for one area, say switches, you'll never touch Routers or Firewalls, that is someone else’s responsibility. You can't even volunteer to help out get some exp, it goes with the separation of duties security policy. On the plus side you'll get to be an expert trouble shooting switches.

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    zefs wrote: »
    Hi,
    Basically does working for named known companies help put weigh in your resume?

Yes, big named employers increase the stock of your resume and career.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Big names can tilt your application in your favor, but you also need to have more to offer than just having big companies on your CV. Given the choice between a candidate that has a bunch of big names in his work experience but little to show in way of accomplishments versus a candidate that's worked for smaller unknown firms but has a track record of getting things done, I'm going to lean more heavily towards the latter.
  • Options
    shawnx715shawnx715 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Big names look good on your resume, but I feel like you'll learn more and have a better experience at a smaller firm....depending on what you do.