Options

How do you stay motivated

2»

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    TeKniques wrote: »
    There is no motivation without discipline.

Quoted for truth.

Ramair2K, I can honestly say that I have been in the same shoes as you at one point. But, when I look at things simply, I will realize that anything I have failed to do has been due to neglect.
    Ramair2k wrote: »
    Back in 2013/2014, I got my CCNA but unfortunatley I let it expire.

Ramair2K, I did the same thing. Back in 2006, I got the CCNP, but unfortunately, I let it expire. I'll be honest with you, I was neglecting myself and my career path. I snapped out of it a few years later, and regained the CCNP. You can do it too! Do not neglect the chance to do better!

I have a desire to get back into the Cisco cert path to keep my skills up-to-date as there aren't a lot of optical jobs out there unless you want to work for an actual optical vendor. Every NetEng job seems to involve route/switch in one way shape or form.

Ramair2K, this sounds like a smart choice. You're in the perfect forum if you're serious about doing this. Please head on over to the CCNA forum to get started. Don't neglect this opportunity.
    I'm married, have 3 kids(10/9/5)

Ramair2K, you have mouths to feed. Don't neglect them.
    From September until April, I coach

Ramair2K, that still leaves June, July, and August to knock it out right now! Don't neglect this opportunity.
    I'm wondering how all of you manage to handle life and also make quality time to study for certs as I am just sucking at it right now.

Ramair2K, the same way you can schedule time to coach the hockey games, you need to schedule time for self-improvement. Do not neglect improving yourself.
    This is strictly something that I want to do for myself to keep my skillset up.

Ramair2K, it is admirable that you want to perform upkeep. Keep in mind that you do not have to be a lone ranger on this. As others have already chimed in, your family can be your strongest support in this. You can set an example for them by studying, and showing them how hard work pays off. Also, if you really want to look out for them, you do not want to neglect keeping your skills up, so that you can continue to provide for them.

For context, no, my job does not require any certs, in fact, they don't even recognize them.

Ramair2K, the dangerous situation you are in is that either the job pays under market, OR it pays well, but you suspect that you won't be able to get a job at that level if suddenly unemployed. Don't neglect your chance to do something about this precarious situation!
    I know i could be let go at a moments notice and thats the main reason for me wanting to get back on the cert train. In fact, we just let go of 400 people org wide, back in March/April, luckily I made the cut.

Ramair2K, if you were suddenly let go, how would your family do? How long before you found a job at the same level? Do not neglect this warning.
    They have said in the past they will not pay for certs nor will they give a pay increase for any certs as they don't recognize them. Too many paper certs out there and they want real world experience, could care less about someone who can read a book and pass a test. Shrug

Ramair2K, keep in mind that you've already admitted that this place let go of 400 people not too long ago. I would not worry about them paying for anything right now. By not helping you SKILL UP, this organization has already admitted that it DOES NOT CARE about YOUR FAMILY or YOUR FUTURE. Do not concern yourself with whether or not you are replaceable. You are. Everyone is. The question is whether or not you have made the employer REPLACEABLE. The question is how will you replace the lost income if you are suddenly relegated to an entry level position if this place cuts you. Do not neglect the opportunity to be able to REPLACE your employer.

It seems that you are motivated strongly by your responsibilities to YOUR FAMILY. As others have already advised, they can be your strongest support (yes, I am repeating myself). I have attempted to appeal to your feelings for and responsibility for YOUR FAMILY. YOUR FAMILY consists of the ones who will still be around when ACME Corp lets you go. YOUR FAMILY will love you, whether or not you work at ACME Corp. Even us, the encouragers of techexams, we're just some voices crying on a forum, but YOUR FAMILY LOVES YOU. You really work to provide for YOUR FAMILY. Please do not NEGLECT your responsibility to them.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)