Options

Job advice

DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
The past six months I've been self employed and started from nothing building an IT business. I don't really need to go into a lot of details about that here except that I do field service work on just about everything an office or retail location needs. I'm not doing to bad and I'm paying my bills. I know that I'm no where near maxing out my earning potential in this endeavor, but I also know that I have to seek out every job to get a pay check and I could have slow periods.

Now I have been talking with a company about a possible full time position. The pay would be what I've typically made in the past at full time positions and I'm very likely the best candidate, its also a field service type of position. I'd get a steady paycheck and it would be much easier to depend on it month to month for the most part.

I'm not really hurting for money and I have debts that we are managing as long as I keep getting work. The debts are small compared what most people have had and that was deliberate and we have simplified our lives.

I'm inclined to decline any offers and continue with growing my business, but I also don't always make good choices on important things like this and don't have anyone in my life to bounce it off of. My wife can't decide anything.

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You skipped the most important part, what makes you happy? Some people enjoy the reliability of a paycheck (such as it is) and others enjoy the challenge of maintaining and growing their own business.

How consistent is the work you're being offered? Do you have any maintenance contracts? Anything that pulls in consistent income?
  • Options
    If it were just a matter of happiness I'd work for myself. I have no crappy sales guys, no bosses and no one stopping me from doing nothing or making a ton besides me.

I don't have any contracts yet, I've met a few people and passed out a few business cards, but I really suck at the sales part. I'm thinking of finding a partner for that side of things. What I am good at is the technology and delivering and exceeding expectations. I've impressed a few companies with my ability and delivery so I've gotten a few companies with large contracts in the area to make me pretty exclusive when they need work done at their client sites. As far as income, lately I've been able to replace and exceed my full time jobs income's. As I said though that can dry up fast so I have to stay on top of it and I really need to get my own clients or get someone who can do that.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IDK if it makes you happy, I'd keep doing what you're doing but build a sizeable nest egg just in case emergencies happen.

I.e. if work dries up and you can't find anything that would sustain you in 1-2 months, then start looking for a full-time job. But you need to have enough money saved up to have that luxury.

Granted, the equation changes if you have kids, need extensive medical coverage, or your partner's income is just as unsteady.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have any contracts yet, I've met a few people and passed out a few business cards, but I really suck at the sales part. I'm thinking of finding a partner for that side of things. What I am good at is the technology and delivering and exceeding expectations.

I did the same many-moons-ago. I and my boss and a friend of his who was great at sales tried to make a go of it, I hated sales but this guy was a whiz at it. One of the hidden benefits to working for someone else is being able to connect with the sales team and see if there's anyone you would want to partner with.
  • Options
    Something that makes this decision pretty hard is the job market here. There's almost no IT or similar positions in this area and I knew that when I moved here. The good part is I have a huge number of retail and small companies here as potential clients so I can always make enough to pay my bills and if I could sell at all or get someone to help in that area I could easily expand.
  • Options
    bluewarlord8bluewarlord8 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you should either get someone that is a whizz at sales/networking so they can get you the clients. And maybe introduce something that keeps them paying every month...

In contrast, you could learn business skills yourself.. Perhaps look at udemy.com they have some business related/sales courses.
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network +, MTA: Server Admin, MS Azure Fundamentals & CCST - Networking.
  • Options
    I'd totally learn to sell, thats not the issue. My wife is actually an amazing salesperson and has a good career doing it. I can't bring her on board yet because she already works enough and makes a good income. She does get me leads, but I'm a true "nerd" imagine sending Sheldon or the guys from IT Crowd out to wow clients and attract business because thats pretty much me. I can do and very much enjoy all the rest of the business from planning, managing, marketing to even doing the accounting.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, definitely look into 1-3yr contracts - offer them a cheaper rate if they do that, but also throw in some perks (priority over reactive clients, alerts, etc) Guaranteed income is what you want, so if you get 10 clients on a contract, and they are good paying clients, then you can always depend on that money coming in.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP