Options

What job would anyone recommend after entry level 1st Line Helpdesk job?

MattFranks94MattFranks94 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Was wondering what were people's second job when they first started out? If so any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm interested in technician roles and networking mainly but willing to try anything really.

Based in UK.

Comments

• Options
    shawnx715shawnx715 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say go for a Desktop Support or System Admin role
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Probably a job in which ever area you have been working on advancing your knowledge/skills in so you can advance in that direction....
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually jumped onto 2nd line support as my first IT job, years later I am doing 2nd and 3rd line support.

Looking at pure networking or networking security for my next job.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the order would be Helpdesk Analyst > Desktop Support > Network, Systems, or Security. You could skip the Desktop Support role, but it's hard to find someone that will hire you for a more specialized role straight from being on the helpdesk.

If you can find a good Desktop Support position, maybe you can have that as your job, but also work with some of the network and security people there. Learn from them, so them you're interested, and eventually when a position opens up in that role you'll be the first person they look to promote.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.