SANS Work Study

johndoeejohndoee Posts: 134Member ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone ever applied for more than one and been accepted to both? Just curious if they see you applied for multiple events and only accept you to only one or not.

If you have applied to more than one and been accepted to more than one (that were going on within a few weeks of each other) I would like to hear from you.

Comments

  • xXxKrisxXxxXxKrisxXx Posts: 77Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took a couple times of getting declined before a friend of mine was selected to facilitate an event. He only had 1 course of interest in mind at the time. I know once you've facilitated for SANS before, depending on if your review was good, you'll have an easier time getting selected for the future. If you've done excellent work facilitating for SANS before in the past and they're really in need, I could see you possibly getting accepted multiple times. I have heard they give priority to their edu students and GIAC cert holders, but eventually if you keep on applying they will eventually try you out.

    The key is applying far enough ahead of time. The wait could be awhile depending on how far ahead of time you're applying. I remember applying a couple months out and being contacted 3 or 4 weeks out. After you are selected, you need to hurry and lock the hotel down along with the Work Study Fee. A majority of Work Study students arrive the day before the event actually gets started. You pretty much have to be able to ready to officially go as soon as you get the acceptance e-mail. If you get selected for multiple, the obvious one here is be sure to have the money to pay and be able to show the work study coordinator that you will indeed be in attendance.

    Hypothetically lets say you get picked to facilitate a 5 day course and you have to show up the day before the event. It's likely you're going to be booking a hotel for 5 or 6 nights (which could go for 200-350 rough guesstimate a night depending on where the venue is), and you have to be able to pay the 1500 too. Well lets also hypothetically say you're also selected to facilitate more than 1 and want to lock in the assurance on your part that you will be able to make the event. Can they really expect you to be able to shovel out $3-6k to facilitate 2 courses within a few weeks of each other? This is all not taking into consideration that you may live in the city where the event is being held. 3-6k cost for being selected for multiple events not factoring in flight information, you can see that it adds up. It is obviously cheaper than paying for a course out of pocket.

    If it's your first time applying for Work Study, try selecting multiple courses at an event that you want to facilitate to show your interest. I remember when I first applied years ago and they ended up giving me the chance to facilitate my last course pick priority wise. Either way it's honestly a steal and a good time.
  • johndoeejohndoee Posts: 134Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    xXxKrisxXx wrote: »
    It took a couple times of getting declined before a friend of mine was selected to facilitate an event. He only had 1 course of interest in mind at the time. I know once you've facilitated for SANS before, depending on if your review was good, you'll have an easier time getting selected for the future. If you've done excellent work facilitating for SANS before in the past and they're really in need, I could see you possibly getting accepted multiple times. I have heard they give priority to their edu students and GIAC cert holders, but eventually if you keep on applying they will eventually try you out.

    The key is applying far enough ahead of time. The wait could be awhile depending on how far ahead of time you're applying. I remember applying a couple months out and being contacted 3 or 4 weeks out. After you are selected, you need to hurry and lock the hotel down along with the Work Study Fee. A majority of Work Study students arrive the day before the event actually gets started. You pretty much have to be able to ready to officially go as soon as you get the acceptance e-mail. If you get selected for multiple, the obvious one here is be sure to have the money to pay and be able to show the work study coordinator that you will indeed be in attendance.

    Hypothetically lets say you get picked to facilitate a 5 day course and you have to show up the day before the event. It's likely you're going to be booking a hotel for 5 or 6 nights (which could go for 200-350 rough guesstimate a night depending on where the venue is), and you have to be able to pay the 1500 too. Well lets also hypothetically say you're also selected to facilitate more than 1 and want to lock in the assurance on your part that you will be able to make the event. Can they really expect you to be able to shovel out $3-6k to facilitate 2 courses within a few weeks of each other? This is all not taking into consideration that you may live in the city where the event is being held. 3-6k cost for being selected for multiple events not factoring in flight information, you can see that it adds up. It is obviously cheaper than paying for a course out of pocket.

    If it's your first time applying for Work Study, try selecting multiple courses at an event that you want to facilitate to show your interest. I remember when I first applied years ago and they ended up giving me the chance to facilitate my last course pick priority wise. Either way it's honestly a steal and a good time.


    I appreciate the response. I am actually attempting to do more than one. That is my ultimate goal. It's two that are within the same month that have my interest. So, I applied to both. If I get accepted into one, I am going to try and wiggle my way into the other one as well. I have a plan. Either way, I am hoping I can do a back-to-back. Not one week after the other because that's impossible with having to be there one day prior and possibly not leaving until the day after the event.

    I have facilitated before.It's a lot of things that come into play but previous work study reviews were further down the list of priorities. I have gained another GIAC certification since the last time I facilitated and I know they ask about the number of GIAC certifications you have. We shall see I guess. I was hoping (and doubtful) that someone had an experience with two events within a month. I doubt it but I guess it's possible.
  • johndoeejohndoee Posts: 134Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you take your $1,500 example and multiply it by 2 that is $3,000. Add on the hotel which I am sure is not a Holiday Inn, and flights I would be pretty near to the cost of having payed for a SANS training and certification attempt straight from the website.. In the end, even if I take my logic, I paid for one SANS training and certification attempt and got one free if I add in the overall costs. It's still a win win for me. Obviously, some people can afford to do it and some people can't.

    When I facilitated, the SEC401 course was the longest everyday. So, whoever facilitated that event got out after I ate, took a shower, and was laying in my bed. Considering I have that certification already, I am sure I will not be facilitating that event. So, when the day was over I still had time to enjoy the city I was in. So, it's still a vacation.

    The only long days were whoever was unfortunate enough to facilitate the SEC401 course and the last day. That's about it.
  • xXxKrisxXxxXxKrisxXx Posts: 77Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very true. It sounds like you got to facilitate the class with a lot of content. Hoping you got to take it with Dr Cole, heard he's a blast. I heard about how long SEC401 would run for. I remember facilitators would finish around the same time of day and they would be doing end of day duties, but the 401 class would still be going. It was like this throughout the whole week for the course too.

    Really happy you've at least facilitated before so you have the process down. Also happy you have at least 2 GIAC certs. I think you'll be hit up for at least 1. If you can manage to get into 1 and wiggle into the other by telling them you have the days off work approved, the money ready to spend, etc, they may be able to make it happen for you.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Posts: 2,245Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    xXxKrisxXx wrote: »
    If it's your first time applying for Work Study, try selecting multiple courses at an event that you want to facilitate to show your interest. I remember when I first applied years ago and they ended up giving me the chance to facilitate my last course pick priority wise. Either way it's honestly a steal and a good time.
    I've applied to a bunch and been accepted as well, I don't remember recently even being able to select only 1 course. For the larger events, one of them was 40 classes, you had to pick your top 14 choices or you couldn't submit. I ended up just not applying because I only wanted a few different ones and didn't want to end up having to reject a choice I didn't even want in the first place.
  • johndoeejohndoee Posts: 134Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I've applied to a bunch and been accepted as well, I don't remember recently even being able to select only 1 course. For the larger events, one of them was 40 classes, you had to pick your top 14 choices or you couldn't submit. I ended up just not applying because I only wanted a few different ones and didn't want to end up having to reject a choice I didn't even want in the first place.


    So, you've been accepted to more than one that were going on within a 30 day period?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Posts: 2,245Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    No, close enough though, I was picked for one but was a last minute waitlist that I couldn't get to, then picked early for the next one maybe 45 days after.
  • johndoeejohndoee Posts: 134Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    No, close enough though, I was picked for one but was a last minute waitlist that I couldn't get to, then picked early for the next one maybe 45 days after.

    Thanks.
Sign In or Register to comment.