Options

Any Resume Changes?

Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Tech Fam,

I'm in the process of looking for a new position and I'm having a issue with finding one. So i came to the realization maybe it's my resume. What do you guys think? Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The main thing that sticks out for me is how you list skills e.g DHCP. What do you do with DHCP? Just listing a skill means very little. As a company wanting to hire, I can't ring 300 candidates and ask what their CV means. You have to demonstrate what your skills are and how you've used them e.g "Tasked with setting up DHCP on server 2008 R2 and supporting post-upgrade"

By saying that, the person reading your CV knows where you set up DHCP, what you set it up on and how you supported it going forward (if you did support it).
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is nothing wrong with have a list of your skills and competencies. That section is more for the benefit of getting through applicant tracking systems anyway. The list of your job functions tells me enough about how you applied your listed skills, e.g., delivering support for networks running Server 2008, 2012, 2016 tells me how you used DNS, TCP/IP, Active Directory, GPOs, and DHCP. Describing application of each skill at each position would result in excessively long CVs, and the consensus is 1 page, 2 pages max.

I repeat myself but I will say it again, always try to put one or two accomplishments, even better if you can quantify them. Think on where you did something that resulted in improvement, getting a project done ahead of time, a configuration you set up that helped end users get more done, maybe your way of doing things was faster and was adopted at your work. It's very competitive in IT so it helps if you can show you are an achievement oriented professional, show your record that helped your organization's success, show where you identified opportunities that advanced business objectives. Without examples, as a hiring manager, those phrases are just drowned out in a vast ocean of every candidate saying the same things. Stand out by showing your achievements. I believe most people have something they can put on their CVs, sometimes it just takes looking at your work history in a different perspective.