Options

Dropping out of school

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Finally throwing in the towel. University just is working for me, 1 year left with 50gs paid into it, worst training in the world learning a BS degree in computer networking. Getting an apprenticeship being and electrician back home, it been real tech exams.

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many years have you sunk into this so far? Some employers see a Bachelor's Degree as the ability to work through to a long-term goal.
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    Just keep going.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    EANx wrote: »
    Some employers see a Bachelor's Degree as the ability to work through to a long-term goal.

That won't be the case with this individual.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's 1 of 4 left I'd just keep going since you might as well get something out of it even if it's only a piece of paper that gets you past the HR filters.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    80%+ of OP's 38 posts have been about his or her degree being worthless...enough already. You are a year away...you are too far invested at $50k so just finish so you can get the benefits of having a degree and get the higher pay to get out of debt or recover your savings.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Like others said, you sunk in all that money, you really want it to be for nothing?

Here's some food for thought:

https://trends.collegeboard.org/education-pays/figures-tables/lifetime-earnings-education-level
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Couple of days ago you said you would finish it. What changed?
  • Options
    edwilliamskyedwilliamsky Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Finally throwing in the towel. University just is working for me, 1 year left with 50gs paid into it, worst training in the world learning a BS degree in computer networking. Getting an apprenticeship being and electrician back home, it been real tech exams.

Looking at your post history, it would seem you've not been happy with your path for awhile. Getting a BS involves general ed classes that attempt to give you a well rounded education and prepare you to critically think and communicate. Personally, that far in, I'd suck it up and just finish, as it would show employers that you can stick to a goal and complete it, and it will open doors for you in the long run regardless of your career path.

You mention wanting to be an electrician in this thread, and a plumber in another - if that kind of trade is more to your liking, then get to it - there's no dishonor in learning a valuable trade, and plenty of money to be made there as well. But, it sounds to me like you don't really know what you want to do - I'd encourage you to put some thought into that before committing to a decision you may well regret (and money you may already have invested). Good luck.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    1 year left? Wow, stay. Don't let this be a regret when you get older.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wouldn't a Bachelor's in an unrelated field be worth something to HR anyways? I mean that chick in charge of that Equifax breach had a Music degree right? Worth something to someone.icon_cheers.gif
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like the College Industrial Complex strikes again!

Another victim claimed.

OP probably would have been better served getting an Associates degree from a (competent) Community College, and entering the workforce from there.

Cautionary Tale folks...
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just don't understand how people don't do their research before spending 50k and 3 years towards something, without knowing (or getting upset) that they also have to take some liberal arts courses with their degree... Absolutely insane to me.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Looks like the College Industrial Complex strikes again!

Another victim claimed.

OP probably would have been better served getting an Associates degree from a (competent) Community College, and entering the workforce from there.

Cautionary Tale folks...

I preach this to my children all the time......

Do the A+ program and get your CC degree for free. I recently looked and they have a lot of newer relevant programs available. Data Science type programs and some specific security and IT ones. They are even aligned with some certifications. I know the security AA sets you up for security +.

For a 17 - 18 year old who kind of knows what they like it's not a bad way to go....

Once you get into a corporation leverage their tuition reimbursement program and have 0 debt.

Trade schools too, there is going to be a MASSIVE gap in laborers. These guys/gals are making a kings ranson now......

I would seriously consider being an electrician.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

I got a couple buddies who do it and seem to like it. Sounds like it is easier than most IT positions to get into (at least they don't make it sound that hard to get into) and pays decent more early on than a lot of IT positions too (I think ceiling is higher for IT position though).

Wouldn't seem like a bad gig to get into
  • Options
    labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I preach this to my children all the time......

Do the A+ program and get your CC degree for free. I recently looked and they have a lot of newer relevant programs available. Data Science type programs and some specific security and IT ones. They are even aligned with some certifications. I know the security AA sets you up for security +.

For a 17 - 18 year old who kind of knows what they like it's not a bad way to go....

Once you get into a corporation leverage their tuition reimbursement program and have 0 debt.

Trade schools too, there is going to be a MASSIVE gap in laborers. These guys/gals are making a kings ranson now......

This is the exact playbook I ran, obtained my Associates in Network Systems, curriculum was through Cisco Net Academy and I got my CCNA in April. I did take out 2 loans early on before I was Pell Grant eligible, but I'm only 6K in the hole. My next job will pay better and I can have it payed off within 2-3 years if I get the job fairly soon, plus they'll offer tuition reimbursement and other certs to pay for.

CC out of high school is the best option in 2018, coupled with certs and you're on the track to a nice career very early in life!
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ NetworkNewb - Thanks for the feedback, I am trying to gather as much intel to help assist my kids with their futures. I want to retire early and live in a one bedroom condo / apartment on the beach. ;)

@labscloud - 100%. The Cisco academy / AA is a great way to go. Walk out with the CCNA and STEM AA degree at the age of 20 is brilliant.
  • Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a couple buddies who do it and seem to like it. Sounds like it is easier than most IT positions to get into (at least they don't make it sound that hard to get into) and pays decent more early on than a lot of IT positions too (I think ceiling is higher for IT position though).

Wouldn't seem like a bad gig to get into

It's all well and good until you mix up the red vs. black wire. icon_lol.gif

OP: you should tough it out. Nothing worthwhile in life is easy.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your student loans are due regardless of if you get the degree or not. If it's only a year off, might as well finish it and get something for your money.
  • Options
    Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used my Gi bill so tuition was covered. Finishing out this summer school with music appreciation which makes me not want to listen to music and then im done, no body in the real world gives a dam about my knowledge with meter beats, most of all myself. Ya i had better luck and gained more skills outside of the academic environment, but ya im done.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Definitely sounds like the concept of well-rounded education is not for you and you are so salty that it's pointless to discuss the matter further. I'm gonna go listen to some Rachmaninoff No. 1 in D minor, Op. 13 interpretations to chill out.
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    "If you do what is hard, your life will be easy. If you do what is easy, your life will be hard." - Les Brown
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm gonna go listen to some Rachmaninoff No. 1 in D minor, Op. 13 interpretations to chill out.

Some wat? Is that on one of Metallica's early albums?
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey OP, I understand. The modern education system is of an antiquated design. Only you can decide if staying or going is best for you. I got two degrees and have trouble finding a job now. People say "your degree shows you can stick with something" but then in the same breath they say "you didn't stay at your previous job very long...so we're gonna hold that against you instead". The entire job market is one large bag of contradictions. Roll the dice and see what happens is the best anyone can hope for.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Finish your degree! Where there any classes you took that you enjoyed? There were classes I took in college that I didn’t like.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor