Options

Are there more System Admin/Engineer jobs than Network Admin/Engineer jobs?

nactnact Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I heard that there are more System jobs because there are more serves than network.

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    nact wrote: »
    I heard that there are more System jobs because there are more serves than network.

Short answer. Yes. However in many smaller companies the Sysadmins also do Network Admin duties.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Servers generally need more care and feeding than the network does. Hire/fire a user, there's all sorts of things a sysadmin has to do but networking wise, you activate/deactivate a switch port.
  • Options
    dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree to some extent, once you configure a switch and router there's not much else you need to do besides port management, but managing a firewall could keep a network administrator busy depending on the work flow and size of their infrastructure. A systems administrator of course would stay a lot more busier due to server and application preventative maintenance which could also include patching, updates, upgrades, security, AD management, and if not on a cloud hardware management as well.
  • Options
    nactnact Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So does network admin have more downtime in general compared to system admins?
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nact wrote: »
    So does network admin have more downtime in general compared to system admins?
    From what I've seen, yes.

But they pay for it in "Stuff is broken. Must be the network."

And they doubly pay for it during any kind of office or datacentre moves/migrations considering that for sysadmins, it's usually plug and play (barring data migrations).