Out of college

rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if any of you guys had a feeling of zero confidance in your skills after graduating college and thought that if you managed to get an IT job you would only last a week. This is the feeling that I have and it really bothers me. In college we would do labs and in these labs we would do them once then move on...this was over a year ago. I know lots of theoritical stuff but its pretty useless when it comes to actually DOING stuff. A great example would be I could write all about how DNS works but I dont know exactly how to set up DNS. I have been out of college for about a year now but have managed to pass the Network+ cert.

I need experience...badly, but my problem is that going for experience will be a big risk. Do you think the employer will understand this and put up with my inexperiece just so I can learn more. Or will they just can me and find someone who can get the job done because that is what I would do icon_sad.gif.

I have an interview about 50 miles from where I live now and the risk is that if I get the job then I would have to move and if after a month I get fired then it will be a big expence to move back...not to mention the expence of moving to where the job is located. Im willing to take this risk though because just like my quote says "life is only for the courageous".

How do you guys think I will fare?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are honest (but positive and upbeat) in your interview then the employer will not have any misconceptions if he hires you. You should avoid saying stuff like "I want this job so I can get experience" or "I would like this job so I can learn more". Than makes it sound like you would be a burden and just use this job to move on to better things. Go in with the attitude that you just accomplished 2 goals (the degree and cert) through intelligence and hard work, and in a short time you can become proficient at whatever job you get, and then become an asset to your employer.

If you get a job 50 miles away, see if you can get a small apartment on a monthly contract with minimal furnishings (a couch, table, chair and mattress will do for a while) and don't move everything or give up your old place until you are passed your 90 day (or whatever) probationary period many employers use.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool, thanks for the advice. Im currently living with my brother who is soon moving to new york and it looks like I either have a choice of moving back with my parents, in the salem/roanoke VA area, or moving to lynchburg, which is where the job is located. Im thinking about moving back with my parents for that 90 days and then get an appartment in lynchburg when Im past that 90 day probation period.

If I dont get the job then I plan on just going back to college and get a BS. Always good to have a back up plan.
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Getting experience in the IT field is tough...even if you have a tech job. Also, I know people who have traveled 1 hour to and from work, so don't rule out a long drive (unless it is a major pain)...some of those audio lecture series make great travel companions and help you with your certs...
    I agree with sprkymrk, be honest, but not too honest. Don't give them the impression that you are looking for experience, because they would be afraid that once you get it, you'll leave them. Companies want people who are willing to stick around. If your past employment contains long tenures at jobs, then you look more stable than someone who has held a new job every 1-2 years (which most tech guys do until they land the right one anyway). I know they are rare, but some employers, once they see what you can do and are willing to do and learn, will cut you some slack and may even support your decision to learn more (sadly my company does not feel that way and even though I am only 1 of 2 tech guys, I do not get to see what goes on in the Server room and am kept very much in the dark as far as the network or network management goes).

Good luck! And if you have to move, you can probably find a short-term lease apartment and it'll all work out...
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't over look temp agencies, to gain experience doing short term jobs. Tell them you only want IT jobs.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worry about this also but had encouraging experiences with an internship. I did alot of work on their bench and always kept my PC Repair text close by and it came in handy more than once. Sometimes it was a little time consuming but I always got the job done right (without supervision) and thats whats important. When we went to upgrade a lab from 98 to XP with ghost I did a bunch of research the night before and ended up being a big help setting up the image, configuring a sysprep disk and the load.

The thing is no one knows everything in a two year cirriculum down pat. And the people you work for wont know everything either. You just have to learn the things they want you to know as fast as possible and then let all that theory kick in once youv'e established yourself as a competent tech.

I havent managed to land a tech job yet and I get nervous when im going to do a side job. But i always seem to figure it out and feel good about myself in the end. Experienced techs might troubleshoot and correct a problem faster but most people havent a clue about this technology and think im god and throw money at me when im finished.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dagger1x wrote:
    The thing is no one knows everything in a two year cirriculum down pat.
    And after 20 years on the job you won't know everything either... :)
    dagger1x wrote:
    And the people you work for wont know everything either.
    Yes we do! icon_lol.gif
    Okay, maybe not everything... icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Just do a good job and you will be fine. I used to be scared of getting fired when I started getting into the professional world. It is actually a good thing, to be scared - you work harder.
  • rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well Im going in for an interview for a job in Lynchburg, VA. I just found out today that it is GE. Yeah GE as in General Electric! I really do hope I get it and that I dont choke on the interview. Im not the best BSer in the world and when I get a tough question I usually choke but I have been preparing so I should do ok.

Thanks everyone for your support!
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    I would definitely commute the 100 miles round trip until you pass your probationary period if you get the job. Even with the high gas prices, it'll be cheaper than actually moving and renting an apartment until you are sure you are there to stay. I drove that distance for about 4 years and it wasn't so bad. Hope you've got an mp3 player though. :)

Good luck with the interview. icon_thumright.gif
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."