Dallas, TX

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone here worked in dallas? I am wondering what the commute is like from somewhere like Richardson to downtown dallas, or to Irving. Is the commute reasonable(1 HR or less during rush hour)?

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depends on the time you leave and the route you would take. Traffic can vary quite widely in the area depending on the time and accidents. But with normal traffic, it should be less than an hour to all those places.
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on the time you leave and the route you would take. Traffic can vary quite widely in the area depending on the time and accidents. But with normal traffic, it should be less than an hour to all those places.

Thanks meandrunkr2d2, by normal traffic do you mean without an accident, but during rush hour?
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    denis92 wrote: »
    Thanks meandrunkr2d2, by normal traffic do you mean without an accident, but during rush hour?

During rush hour sucks in dallas. Depending on the route you go you "should" be ok most days. If you leave at 7am expecting to arrive at 8am, you may likely not make it in time because someone will magically flip their car and set it on fire. Daily.

Or a Semi decides to do a barrel roll because they all misjudge the same curve near downtown. I'd pick a random address in richardson wher eyou think you may live and use google maps to see how far you are from those areas (Las Colinas in Irving is a pretty big area for employers as I used to work there) and you can even set the day of the week and time for estimated commute times. Google maps is usually pretty accurate for normal traffic at those times without an accident.

I've had some commutes take me a couple hours or so due to events/traffic/accidents, but I used to live in North Fort Worth so traffic was different on that route. It normally would take me 40-45 minutes to drive 27 miles at 5:30-6am to work and then about 1 hour normally to return around 3:30-4pm.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    There's no easy way to get Downtown from Richardson... You could take 75 all the way down, but it can be a bit of a nightmare. Alternatively, you could take the Bush over to DNT and head downtown, but that might add a lot of unnecessary distance & time to your commute. An alternative, depending on where in Downtown you're ultimately going, might be to take the DART light rail system. Plano and Richardson have plenty of stations and will take you all the way.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    There's no easy way to get Downtown from Richardson... You could take 75 all the way down, but it can be a bit of a nightmare. Alternatively, you could take the Bush over to DNT and head downtown, but that might add a lot of unnecessary distance & time to your commute. An alternative, depending on where in Downtown you're ultimately going, might be to take the DART light rail system. Plano and Richardson have plenty of stations and will take you all the way.

Pretty much this. 75 always has accidents and/or construction; but is the intended route to get to downtown from Richardson.

Edit: Irving would be an entirely different route, but with 7.5 Million now in DFW; the trick is to leave early going anywhere.
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I live in the DFW area fortunate for me I am a work from home limited office guy. If you can avoid downtown anyway possible I would advise it. Unless you live right in the area it can be a nightmare to get in and out of. If you are close to the train station take it that is the easiest way in. Parking is also a nightmare in downtown Dallas. Be careful on the train though it can get rough in certain areas especially later at night. I turned down multiple companies when they wanted me to work downtown or it came up as the location. My company has a downtown location and a lot of people in tech do not want to go there and opt for Richardson or Plano as their preferred location. I even got trapped downtown due to a major accident one time when I went there. I mean trapped for hours and could not get home.
  • mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live in the DFW area fortunate for me I am a work from home limited office guy. If you can avoid downtown anyway possible I would advise it. Unless you live right in the area it can be a nightmare to get in and out of. If you are close to the train station take it that is the easiest way in. Parking is also a nightmare in downtown Dallas. Be careful on the train though it can get rough in certain areas especially later at night. I turned down multiple companies when they wanted me to work downtown or it came up as the location. My company has a downtown location and a lot of people in tech do not want to go there and opt for Richardson or Plano as their preferred location. I even got trapped downtown due to a major accident one time when I went there. I mean trapped for hours and could not get home.

Must be nice. I grind it out everyday; but work in Coppell, so its the Sam Rayburn for me; which is not too bad actually. Lots of big companies building in West Plano-Frisco area now; which will be a bigger metro area than Fort Worth in a few years if it keep growing the way it is. Really no need to work in downtown Dallas anymore.
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exactly I worked for Freddie Mac on Carrolton when I first moved to DFW and commuted everyday and did not mind it. But there are so many companies HQ'ed here in Dallas and the other offices outside of here try to hire tech to work downtown not realizing they should be hiring them for the outer burbs. A lot of tech folks will not go to downtown. The cost of commuting there alone is crazy high. Parking, tolls, time and I even have seen employers wanting folks to work 8 to 5 downtown which is dang near impossible. Like previous posts if you are not out by 4 PM or earlier you are doomed.