Options

Training imparted for Short term contracts vs full time jobs

kabooterkabooter Member Posts: 115
On most full time jobs, one can easily get training spanning 3-6 weeks and ramps up slowly to all job requirements. However as there are more and more cybersecurity jobs showing up as 3/4 months contracts, I want to explore the options of contract jobs.
I have never worked as a contractor so wondering what kind of job training on gets for, lets say 3/4 months contract jobs?
Can someone please share their experience.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It depends. My expectation and experience is that training is generally limited to administrative stuff. I.e. where's the bathroom and coffee? How to file for expenses, etc. Consultants are hired for their expertise in a particular area so I never expect any training. I only care to be trained on how to use the coffee machine and where the fire-escape is located. But that's just with my experience - your mileage may vary.

From an employer point of view - if I'm going to hire a contractor that I have to train - that usually means that I'm just needing bodies so I will generally do some sort of labor arbitrage.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Admin training is fairly common, an hour here or there on the company policy of X or Y. But if you mean technical training, why would a company hire someone for just a few months then send them to a class? If I hire a contractor, I want them to hit the ground running with the skills I asked for.