Options

Unemployed and the idea of being particular about jobs

thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
When I tell people I'm unemployed, they usually respond with something like "Well, what are you looking to do?" Then I say, "something in IT" and then they say "That's rather vague. What area of IT?"

This is where the line of communication seems to fail. I'm unemployed, and thus I'm looking to do anything for a paycheck. But for some reason, it seems like it's bad to say that. The way I was raised, if you're unemployed, you take whatever job you can get...even if it's hauling trash. But I get the vibe that the IT field seems to think it's better if you stay unemployed and sit on your butt rather than just take a job to earn some money.

Thoughts on this?
2019 Goals: CCNP R&S

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don’t want to take any job,because you could wind up in a toxic environment and be really miserable.
    Think right job, right pay, and right drive.

Also, you should look at jobs that line up with your it career goals, not unless you really need the money.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Haha, flashbacks of being unemployed and friends "helping" me find a job. Now I know what I am good at doing, with System and Network Administration, which is what I told my friends. What did they send me? Database Administration jobs, Web Designer, Programmer, all the development jobs that I hate doing...

So yeah, IT is a VERY broad field. It may help if you give them examples of what you can/can't do, or what you are willing to do. Maybe try to find an internship that pays to at least get your foot in the door. When I was unemployed, I was scouting job boards as my full-time job until I finally got a job offer.

Best of luck to you. Hope you find something soon.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Where do you live?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As long as a person isn't desperate for money, I would also hold out for something at least on par with what I've done and definitely not a step down. I sure wouldn't even entertain the thought of doing help desk work if I were laid off and would honestly work retail until I found a proper IT job doing what I'm good at.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's all about perception. You want to hire someone you think really enjoys what they do and are excited about the opportunity at the company. Those are the type of people that tend to work out long term. So someone unemployed just looking for the first thing that comes around doesn't really fit that mold.

What I'd do is frame it more of a "taking some time off" while you find that perfect job for you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    For me: Take any job if the money is low (or unemployment has run out). Are you getting interviews for the IT jobs you have applied to? Any feedback from those interviews?
    Were you laid off from your previous position?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I tell people I'm unemployed, they usually respond with something like "Well, what are you looking to do?" Then I say, "something in IT" and then they say "That's rather vague. What area of IT?"

This is where the line of communication seems to fail. I'm unemployed, and thus I'm looking to do anything for a paycheck. But for some reason, it seems like it's bad to say that. The way I was raised, if you're unemployed, you take whatever job you can get...even if it's hauling trash. But I get the vibe that the IT field seems to think it's better if you stay unemployed and sit on your butt rather than just take a job to earn some money.

Thoughts on this?

Unfortunately you are unemployed but you are excited about getting back in the IT work force. What do you want to do? Just be honest, make note of what you want to do..... IT Support, Systems, Development etc.....

Craft the narrative to fit the job.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your talking to your best friend then go ahead and tell them you will do anything.

If you are talking to a recruiter or hiring manager tell them you will take anything the moves you in the direction you want to go. You will need to give them the impression that you like the opportunity they are offering you.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Haha, flashbacks of being unemployed and friends "helping" me find a job. Now I know what I am good at doing, with System and Network Administration, which is what I told my friends. What did they send me? Database Administration jobs, Web Designer, Programmer, all the development jobs that I hate doing...

This sounds somewhat similar to my story. When I decided to move into IT, my focus was networking. I wanted to go CCNA -> CCNP -> CCIE and learn all I could about routing and switching. There was something about it that really interested me.

As it turned out, I ended up going into security because a friend of mine worked in that field. It was overwhelming. I'd say it's probably something like joining the military and then on week two they say, "Congratulations, Captain. Go lead your platoon into battle." And then you reply something profound and eloquent like, "Wat?"

I've been looking for security jobs, but not getting any replies, I think because my resume probably looks peculiar. "Why does this guy have 1.5 yrs security experience and nothing else?" In any case, I recently decided to try to go back to the basics and what I found I enjoyed.

Last night, I started CBT Nuggets with Jeremy Cioara for CCNP Route, and I find it's the first time in a while I've really enjoyed what I'm learning. I just couldn't love the security topics as much as I do networking. I've also changed my job focus to networking and NOC type jobs, or helpdesk if it involves networking. While I'd probably take a wide variety of jobs at this point, I can at least articulate where I'd like to end up.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The way I was raised, if you're unemployed, you take whatever job you can get...even if it's hauling trash. But I get the vibe that the IT field seems to think it's better if you stay unemployed and sit on your butt rather than just take a job to earn some money.

Thoughts on this?

Same here. When I got laid off in 2001, I refused to apply for anything that wasn't going to give me a nice raise. However, when the money (severance package, etc.) started to run out and I still couldn't find a good job (seems everybody got laid off in 2001 and was looking, so the competition was fierce), I ended up taking whatever temp work I could find just to make ends meet (assembly line, receptionist, cashier at Fry's, grading standardized tests for school districts). Eventually, I got back into the working world. If you just need the money until you can find the right "real job," do what you need to do to support your family.