Options

How is that even an acceptable wage?

ReonBalistyReonBalisty Member Posts: 54 ■□□□□□□□□□
"Technical Support I

compensation: Starting at $12/hr. or more - Depending on Experience
employment type: full-time
************ is a fast-paced **** based Internet Company that is excited to bring a reliable, punctual, and flexible support technician onto our team.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Courteous phone support for customers experiencing technical difficulties
- Troubleshoot network connectivity problems with customer connections internally and externally
- E-mail troubleshooting (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird)
- Work with various brands of networking gear (training supplied)
- Program a variety of wireless gear for use in the field

A qualified candidate will possess knowledge of:
- A+, Net+ or CCNA,
- Basic Linux
- Windows 7, 8, 10 and Windows Server
- Mac OS X 10.6-10.12
- Basic Outlook, Thunderbird, and Apple Mail

Candidates who are bilingual in English and Spanish, have call center experience, a knack for computers, and a need to tinker are preferred.

This is a full-time position that requires weekend availability. Pay starts at $12/hour or more depending on experience. Other benefits include group health and dental insurance, vision compensation plan, 401k, Holiday Pay and Paid Time Off (PTO) following the introductory periods.

All conditional job offers are subject to a background check and a pre-employment drug/alcohol screening.

Great advancement opportunities; great place to learn! Please submit your resume in response to this posting for consideration."

I saw this last night, I applied last year to the same position, I did not have an interview per say, I had a 30 minute drive to fill out a "questionnaire" while dressed for an interview, and a talk with a supervisor who was not hiring staff, after hours in their conference room. It was very unprofessional. As I was told I would be meeting with one hiring personnel who was specifically named, and then get there and have some random supervisor be my proctor for a questionnaire. And I barely got to ask questions before shoo'ed out of the building.

What is the community in tech-exams thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I guess supply and demand, but I'm not familiar with the going rates for tier one help desk jobs.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depending on your area I'd expect something like that for pay with an entry level helpdesk role. If you are in a high COL area they can pound sand with that type of wage.
  • Options
    Depending on your area I'd expect something like that for pay with an entry level helpdesk role. If you are in a high COL area they can pound sand with that type of wage.

After so many interviews of the past 2 years (recently got my first IT job at a school district). I have seen in range from 15-20$ an hour for this area for entry level IT. My current role is paying me 18.00$ hourly. I know for a fact here in CA, that the wage for In and Out Employees is more than what they are offering for this IT job.
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suppose it's an acceptable wage if you apply for the position knowing what it pays.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't surprise me... You're in a more rural area of CA and I see wages going for the same rate in LA for entry level positions. I haven't lived in your part of CA but I bet its cheaper COL than LA. The question is how much does In&Out pay in your area?
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Helpdesk call center wages are kind of weird. I think around 2010-2011 I was making $18 an hour in a helpdesk. In Silicon Valley I interviewed for an IT support role for $75k-$80k a year so I assumed it was at least a senior desktop tech sometime in 2014. I went into the interview and found out it was a small helpdesk and it was only first level support. I turned 360 degrees and walked right out. This was for a county position. For reference I interviewed for another county position where the job description made it sound like a sysadmin role and the pay was around $90k starting but that was more of a second level desktop support sort of role and didn't actually sound very intersting.
  • Options
    It doesn't surprise me... You're in a more rural area of CA and I see wages going for the same rate in LA for entry level positions. I haven't lived in your part of CA but I bet its cheaper COL than LA. The question is how much does In&Out pay in your area?

It is cheaper than LA, but the Rural area I am in is still another 11% COL higher than other places that I have scope out for possible moves.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "Pay starts at $12/hour or more depending on experience."

I don't see this as being too crazy... Someone with zero experience and no degree trying to get their foot in IT... Not sure how much else you could expect
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    I turned 360 degrees and walked right out.

This made me smile icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    After so many interviews of the past 2 years (recently got my first IT job at a school district). I have seen in range from 15-20$ an hour for this area for entry level IT. My current role is paying me 18.00$ hourly. I know for a fact here in CA, that the wage for In and Out Employees is more than what they are offering for this IT job.

With that being the case, good luck with them getting and keeping anyone remotely decent. Hell, they'd probably be lucky to have a day with full staff actually showing up. When you underpay that poorly that you can make more flipping burgers you won't attract anyone reliable or smart.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I saw this last night, I applied last year to the same position, I did not have an interview per say, I had a 30 minute drive to fill out a "questionnaire" while dressed for an interview, and a talk with a supervisor who was not hiring staff, after hours in their conference room. It was very unprofessional. As I was told I would be meeting with one hiring personnel who was specifically named, and then get there and have some random supervisor be my proctor for a questionnaire. And I barely got to ask questions before shoo'ed out of the building.

What is the community in tech-exams thoughts on this?

Looks like they want someone with call center exp, bilingual,and with cert knowledge. I think 12 is a little low,especially if they want someone with exp The local Walmart here in town is advertising stocking -warehouse positions starting at 11.50 an hour.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This made me smile icon_wink.gif

LOL! I guess they walked out backwards.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Alright - I guess we are talking about DigitalPath in Chico, CA based on the job description. They look like a small rural ISP with 1.5 stars on Yelp and 1.8 stars on Google.

According to Crunchbase - they are a pretty small outfit of about 11-50 employees founded in 2002 with about $8.4MM in funding. The interesting thing about the reviews on Yelp is that many people say that the internet service is bad but the tech support people are very nice and friendly even thought they can't fix their problems.

Given that it's rural CA and for a pretty small company - perhaps $12/hr could be all they could afford.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started in call center tech support/level 1 helpdesk 20 years ago at 10 dollars and hour in Kentucky so that seems fairly low to me
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For a small rural business that's about right. A small ISP I know of in rural SE GA near me pays $15/hr for a Tier 2 position. And another one 30 miles away pays $12-$15 for Tier 1.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320