Passed Sy0-401 today just in time

hmillerjrhmillerjr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
After a year of off and on studying, I finally took the exam today and it wasn't easy. For those scheduled to take the SY0-401 test before it expires I recommend Darril Gibson material Are You Ready to Get Certified? - Get Certified Get Ahead, Professor Messers Study Guide, as some of your primary sources. There were 72 questions that were very wordy. I received 3-4 Performance based questions, a couple were dealing with Attack Types. Questions about C.I.A, Security Controls. Thanks to all of the previous posts from this site, it really helped. Good luck to everyone. My goal is to take Linux plus next. Current certs, A+, Network+, ICND 1

Comments

• coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and best wishes with the Linux+!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! The SY0-401 was harder than I expected. I barely read the study guide so i'm amazed I passed, but the questions were worded in such a way that you had to decipher them to answer the questions. On some of the questions, it could have been any of the answers - you need to know what CompTIA are looking for. Anyway, well done! The Linux+ is a much better course.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif

Any reason for pursuing Linux+? I'm currently going over Linux Essentials with the intent of using it as a preparation for the OSCP.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • hmillerjrhmillerjr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You guys are awesome, thanks for the praise. Since passing the Sec + a couple of days ago I was approached by management for a promotion with an increase in pay by at least 10k.. I'm pursing the Linux + in preparation for CEH. Good luck to anyone that's currently studying and by all means, don't give up. icon_cheers.gif
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • securitychopssecuritychops Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! :)
    Current Certs   : OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, Pentest+, Security+, SLAE, SLAE64
    Goals for 2019 : OSEE
    Goals for 2020 : OSWE
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Great news!! icon_smile.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • jam022316jam022316 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome congrats! I take mine on the 28th just three days before expiration. Here's hoping I pass! LOL
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! I was in your similar situation when Sec+ was transitioning between SY0-301 and SY0-401. I jumped on board to test on the 401.
    Good luck on your next cert! I've set up a Linux virtual machine so I can practice Linux for other certs.
  • Bluer_teamBluer_team Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to ask, but why is everyone going for the 401...its expired, as a hiring agent I would rather choose a 501 over a 401...yet so many people feel a huge difference between the tests? Honestly its like anything in IT, things will always change. Learn, expand, grow, triumph. Thats IT. Enjoy it or leave it.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm sorry to ask, but why is everyone going for the 401...its expired, as a hiring agent I would rather choose a 501 over a 401...yet so many people feel a huge difference between the tests? Honestly its like anything in IT, things will always change. Learn, expand, grow, triumph. Thats IT. Enjoy it or leave it.
    That was my thoughts exactly when I was taking my Sec+. Sure the SY0-301 had lots of material available, but I figured why learn what is outdated, I should just jump in with the SY0-401. I renewed my Sec+ but if I had to take it again right now, I would be taking the SY0-501.

As for making a difference when applying for a job, I've never seen that made a difference which version of a particular exam one took for the cert. As long as the cert was not expired, generally speaking that was the primary concern.
  • Bluer_teamBluer_team Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I kind of see your point, but I had studied for the 401 and just couldn't see dragging studying out any more. It seemed like I spent so.much.time committing to the trifecta, but it was slightly over a year. "A pass is a pass"- I am holding onto that.