Experience IT professional breaking into Cloud Security job market. Advise needed

rs23rs23 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I started my career in a NOC/SOC environment where i got my CCNA 10 years ago. For the past 8 years i have been working for a couple of big consulting firms specializing in federal consulting and my role has kinda transitioned into a Office 365 architect/Product manager with a specialty in MS Teams, SharePoint online and One Drive (Architecture, Admin and security). I have a Masters in Cyber security from 2008 but things have evolved and changed dramatically since then. I am looking to move more into a Cloud Security architect role for career progression and looking for some guidance on the following

1) What certifications should i focus on first to catch up on the latest and greatest. I was thinking about Comptia Security+ and Cloud+. If there are others please feel free to add

2) I have been looking at AWS and Azure certifications and a bit lost where to start. I have been in a Microsoft shop for over 5 years now

3) With 3 young kids my preference is not to work in a SOC in a night shift ( I did it for 4 years and hated it every moment) What kinda roles i should target?

I am happy to provide more details if needed.

J

Comments

• yourtechcareeryourtechcareer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi. I'd recommend networking through your local Cloud Security Alliance chapter. Their site has a list of certifications that might help you transition into cloud security. https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and infrastructure? Sure, you can knock out Sec+ and Cloud+ quick... but how much will that actually benefit you giving your decade in IT.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let's start with the fact that you are already MS cloud experienced (Office 365). Now you should consider how to build on that. While Cloud+ is a good foundational cert, I don't know that it will provide the necessary value your time and money should expect. Same with Security+. Admittedly, Security+ may be of some benefit as you are in the federal space and the DoD especially likes it. To build on your MS experience I would start with the MCSA: Linux on Azure cert. After that, the MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure. Finally, get the CCSK from CSA or the CCSP from (ISC)2, if you qualify.

As for the job focus, I would consider looking into becoming a cloud security consultant.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me