Options

Starting the Academy on Monday

2»

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another week down and I am officially half way done! We're lucky in that for the month of October we are pretty much not in the academy. I return Sunday, have a full day on Monday and then it's EVOC the rest of the week (driving training). Following week we return on Tuesday and the rest of the week is agency training (return to your agency to work). The week after that is a full week and then the following week is range week. Flying by, but defintely can't wait to get back to work!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Another week in the books! We had EVOC this week so I was actually able to stay at my place almost the entire week which got me a much needed rest. Definitely the most fun I've had at the academy. Just about 3 months done and another 2 to go before I graduate. EVOC and Firearms are a must pass, so just need to complete firearms and I should be good to go. I'm a good shot so it shouldn't be an issue thus staying injury free is important and I'll graduate in December.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Another week down! I was a bit bummed because we had cell phone forensics and the instructor wasn't very good. I do cell phone forensics and train people to do it so my view might be a bit skewed, but my classmates weren't too happy with the instruction either. The thing I remind people of when training an audience who is not technical is that you need to be excited about the topic. If you don't seem to care about it, why would anyone else? Especially with technical topics because they tend to be extremely dry. Obviously the other recruits won't and don't need to be experts in it, but at the same time they didn't walk out with any applicable knowledge and all they learned was to hope they won't encounter a phone.

Rest of the week I was back at my agency to review SOP's and the like. I'm hoping once I graduate I'll be able to come back and cover the cell phone forensic portion. 8 weeks left!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Another week down! This week was mostly firearms due to us going to the range next week. Messed up my week count...only 6 left to go!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep it going! You have some dedication!
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Another week down! This week was mostly firearms due to us going to the range next week. Messed up my week count...only 6 left to go!
    Front sight press! What y'all running over there, Glocks?
  • Options
    Yup, Glock 19 4th Generation.

Thanks all! Ready to get back to work, but now at an 8 minute mile so there's a plus haha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's a good number if you aren't used to running. Heck even in my heyday I was only running a 7:00 minute, never broke into the 6's.
  • Options
    Yeah typically I've been a distance guy without of the speed, but now got a bit of both.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah typically I've been a distance guy without of the speed, but now got a bit of both.
    You are so close. I like to come in here and see your progress.
  • Options
    devilbones wrote: »
    You are so close. I like to come in here and see your progress.

Thanks! Yeah there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Only rough part is they'll turn up the intensity after range week just to let us know we aren't done yet haha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Qualified with my duty weapon today! I haven't shot in a very long time and our instructors were definitely worlds better than my previous ones. Always room for improvement, but 5 weeks left to go!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Another week down! Four more to go! Literally the next three weeks are not full weeks (we're off for Election Day, Veteran's Day and Thursday/Friday of Thanksgiving). Only important thing to happen was today which was OC Spray day. I'm lucky in that I'm one of the small percentage of people who it has little effect on. But it got a lot of people in my class, though we all successfully completed our defensive tactic stuff. Can't wait to be done!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Another week down! Four more to go! Literally the next three weeks are not full weeks (we're off for Election Day, Veteran's Day and Thursday/Friday of Thanksgiving). Only important thing to happen was today which was OC Spray day. I'm lucky in that I'm one of the small percentage of people who it has little effect on. But it got a lot of people in my class, though we all successfully completed our defensive tactic stuff. Can't wait to be done!
    I have gotten OCd a few times. Never fun for me. Are you staying in dorms or squad bays? How is the food?
  • Options
    We stay in dorms, but each one can hold 12 people so it's a lot like squad bays (crappy wooden bunk beds). We're the only agency on base that does not get the cafeteria food. Thus we have to bring our lunch with us and store it in our day room. Some of the people in my academy are from corrections and have had the food which they say is pretty good depending on what it is.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Only important thing to happen was today which was OC Spray day.
    Yikes!!! Do you have to do taser training too where you get tasered?
  • Options
    Nah my agency doesn't carry tasers so we do not have to be tased. Most people I know who have been OC'd and tased agree they'd rather be tased because once you stop pulling the trigger it all goes away. OC takes about 45 minutes to clear up enough that you can function and will remain on you for up to two days.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bravo Zulu on your progress! Keep pushing till the end.
  • Options
    Ah another week down! This week was pretty uneventful and you can tell we're reaching the end. Three more weeks to go!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Woo another week down!  This week was all about active shooter:  clearing rooms, taking down the threat, etc.  We did our practicals in an actual school which was awesome, but sobering at the same time.  Week kinda drug, but only two more weeks and I am done!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Short week this week!  Pretty much uneventful and we are definitely winding down.  One full week left!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    You must be done by now.  Let us know once you are home and graduated.
  • Options
    Have three days left :) Today we went to the range to shoot popup targets.  Just have one written test, moot court and defensive tactics.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff