Options

Pursuing CCNA

ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all. I am a Windows systems guy without about 20 years of experience. I am now a PM and a team lead on the systems side. I just started a new contract and the Networking person quit the first day leaving a huge vacuum.

It takes months to get a new candidate in due to extensive background checks etc...you fill in the blanks.

Now it's double trouble because I don't have the knowledge to work with network equipment nor do I have the knowledge to patch it.

I saw this as an opportunity to get some network training while waiting. The problem is that the end customer is unlikely to approve me going away for 7 days but the company I work for will pay for it.

I can't study during working hours either. Not ready to quit the job because of this because most jobs are 120 miles round trip for me and this job is only 20 minutes away.

I always had trouble with networking concepts and learn slow. I tried to enter the Networking field 15 years ago and never could make the cut.

Ideas? Many people saying getting a CCNA is pretty easy. I look at it as difficult. A CCENT is a decent stopgap IMO but that is probably a worthless cert to take with me when it is time to leave. I think that CCNA is the only logical engame besides quitting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why would you need to quit if you were not hired to do networking?

What tier are you supporting?
    You may be able to get buy with Tier 1 work but because of your lack of experience you would be dumbfounded when it comes to troubleshooting on the higher Tiers (2 & 3).

You will need to study the foundation information (OSI, protocols, learning the technologies... so forth) and get comfortable with CLI.

Suggestions:
    Order a Cisco Foundation study guide.
    Order one of the Udemy CCNA classes.
    Join Cisco Academy (Netacad) and learn how to use Packet Tracer.
    Learn Subnetting
    Study, lab, study, lab, study, lab, STUDY.

If you want to be able to use the information please learn it and refrain from using a **** just to pass.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    ukiltmybruthaukiltmybrutha Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kaiju wrote: »
    Why would you need to quit if you were not hired to do networking?

What tier are you supporting?
    You may be able to get buy with Tier 1 work but because of your lack of experience you would be dumbfounded when it comes to troubleshooting on the higher Tiers (2 & 3).

You will need to study the foundation information (OSI, protocols, learning the technologies... so forth) and get comfortable with CLI.

Suggestions:
    Order a Cisco Foundation study guide.
    Order one of the Udemy CCNA classes.
    Join Cisco Academy (Netacad) and learn how to use Packet Tracer.
    Learn Subnetting
    Study, lab, study, lab, study, lab, STUDY.

If you want to be able to use the information please learn it and refrain from using a **** just to pass.

Well it is reasonable to not need to quit if not hired to do Networking in most environments. However, this customer is notorious for overreaching and making unilateral demands because it simply can. We are required to provide the customer with favors even if it means scope creep.

Normally, I'd quit and go find something else (and be a grunt that would make more than I making now) because jobs are a dime a dozen in DC but this just happens to not be DC and near my home. The finger gets pointed at me as the PM in the trenches for not providing candidates even though that is the job of recruiting. Recruiting simply can't find people since many people left the area due to lack of opportunity and not wanting to commute. The only candidates that we can find arrive in jeans with their shirts untucked and late. It's that bad!

I am supporting Tiers 1-4 on the System side with ease. The Networking resource would be required to support Tiers 1-4 as well.

Anyhow, I really like your approach!

I have been able to make plenty of money over the years by doing **** and then learning on the job....but in this case I know what you mean.

Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Glad I could assist. Subnetting isn't as difficult as many people make it out to be.

Send me a PM with the clearance level required for the job. I know a couple CCNP Security guys who are currently looking for work.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!