How I passed CISSP in 7.5 weeks

Abhinav ViswambharanAbhinav Viswambharan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I would like to start by thanking all those who have posted about their experiences in this forum. It has been of great help for people like me who have been reading them passively, to get as close as possible to the realities of CISSP certification exam.

Having provisionally passed my CISSP exam couple of days ago, I feel obligated to give back to this community by sharing my own experience preparing for it.

Though I have been working in the IT industry for over 12 years now, it was only about 3 months ago that I seriously started thinking about the CISSP certification. The trigger was an internal organizational change that I wanted to suited up for. In my current role I lead a team of security and network engineers at work, working on specific missions around securing information systems within our organization.

I did spend some time contemplating whether to go for CISSP or CISM, and after doing some research it was a no brainer - CISSP!

Following is a quick summary of key aspects of my preparation:
  • Personal Situation: Working full time for 5days/week & 2.5years old daughter keep things busy at home.
  • Total Duration: 51 days
  • Time spent per week: 20 hours (2hrs/day on weekdays and 5hrs/day on weekends)
  • Mode of Learning: Selfstudy using online ISC2 study materials
  • Study materials:
    • Official ISC2 CISSP Study Guide 8th edition - I spent 70% of overall time on this 1000 pages long book and practised associated 1320 sample questions via online Sybex Wiley Test Bank.
    • Official ISC2 CISSP Practice Tests 2nd edition - I spent 25% of overall time on this practicing 1344 sample questions via online Subex Wiley Test Bank.
    • Eleventh Hour CISSP Study Guide 3rd edition - I spent 5% of overall time on this 220 pages long book for a final revision of some of the CBK domains.
    • Quizlet CISSP Flashcards - I found this online on the day of my exam and was quite handy for the last minute refresh of key topics before the exam.

Finally, on the day of the exam, I was a bit anxious about the CAT format of the exam, as it was a whole new experience for me.

This is where the experiences shared by people in this forum helped. As experienced by others who have gone through the CISSP exam in English since December 2017, I also felt the initial set of questions quite straightforward and started getting more and more difficult.

Unlike the PMP and CBAP exams I have been through in the past, the CISSP exam didn’t gave an option to bookmark and go back to previously answered or skipped questions. Surprisingly I found this to be a good thing. It ensured that I gave due respect to each question.

Though the CISSP exam is a 3 hours long exam with upto 150 objective questions, for me the exam stopped abruptly at 103 questions with almost half the time remaining. The walk out of the exam hall was nerve wracking as I wasn’t sure whether I passed. I knew I was doing okay, but I expected to reach till 130-140 questions.

I was relived when I was handed over the printout of the result. I had provisionally passed!

That’s the beauty of the CAT format, which actually sets the passing score for CISSP at 700/1000. The exam stops as soon as you hit the passing score, with each question given different weightage based on the difficulty level of the question.

This is my CISSP story, which I have also written down in further detail at: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-i-passed-cissp-75-weeks-abhinav-viswambharan-pmp-cbap-csm

Hope it helps you in your CISSP journey.

Once again, thank you for all those who have shared their experiences in this forum and good luck for those who one day would!

- AV

Comments

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excellent work and great writeup! Congratulations!
  • RussInGothamRussInGotham Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, and thanks for sharing!
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Solid write up Abhinav! It's impressive that it took a short while to study and to pass the exam. icon_thumright.gif
  • semsem010semsem010 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratss Abhinav on passing

well, i see u only used 2 books and Practice Tests (sybex & Eleventh Hour), is that boz u have much IT experience ?

i don't have real much IT experience but i passed CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT last yr, i finished Sybex 8 & Practice Tests 2nd Edition.
    i have these books:
    1- Eric Conrad CISSP Study Guide Third Edition (598 pages)
    2-Eric Conrad Eleventh Hour CISSP Third Edition (224 pages)
    3- cissp-dummies-6th
    4- CISSP in 21 Days Second Edition by M. L. Srinivasan
    5- AIO by Shon Harris 7
    6- official isc 2 guide

i am so confused, so many books to read/Practice Tests to do?

is the exam mainly concepts on management level or tech level?
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job there and welcome to TE! icon_cheers.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Abhinav ViswambharanAbhinav Viswambharan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CAT is amazing. I have yet to experience that format but I have heard nothing but good things about it. Congrats on the pass!
  • JGSJGS Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and thanks for your the informative post! Did you find the online questions that you did similar to those on the exam?
  • omichael003omichael003 Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will be taking the exam next year
  • X5c0rX5c0r Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great information. I am self-studying (Syngress CISSP study guide, Eric Conrad) now and will be attending a boot camp provided by my employer in just under 2 weeks. Then I get a voucher for the exam. The CAT has been worrying me but your explanation provides some assurance.  
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, I liked the way you listed your exam experience. 
  • dudisoftdudisoft Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello guys does anyone has a redeem code for test banks, Wiley for CISSP quiz ?
  • SRISSRIS Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations @Abhinav Viswambharan on your success.
    I was wondering if you would happen to know whether there is a significant difference between the Official ISC2 CISSP Study Guide 8th edition compared to its 7th edition. I have the 7th edition with me and was planning to restart my preparation for CISSP.
    Will the 7th edition be good enough for my preparation or shall I buy the 8th edition?

• dudisoftdudisoft Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi, I have a soft copy of the 8th edition in case do you want to read this one I can share it with you. 
  • SRISSRIS Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi @Abhinav Viswambharan I hope I am not one year too late on your offer. Will it be possible for you to share the file now.
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    semsem010 said:
    congratss Abhinav on passing

well, i see u only used 2 books and Practice Tests (sybex & Eleventh Hour), is that boz u have much IT experience ?

i don't have real much IT experience but i passed CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT last yr, i finished Sybex 8 & Practice Tests 2nd Edition.
    i have these books:
    1- Eric Conrad CISSP Study Guide Third Edition (598 pages)
    2-Eric Conrad Eleventh Hour CISSP Third Edition (224 pages)
    3- cissp-dummies-6th
    4- CISSP in 21 Days Second Edition by M. L. Srinivasan
    5- AIO by Shon Harris 7
    6- official isc 2 guide

i am so confused, so many books to read/Practice Tests to do?

is the exam mainly concepts on management level or tech level?

So you just  took them and are  waiting for certification in a few years? 
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job! Congrats
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Awesome job! Congratulations!!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□