Options

Listing Temp to Perm positions on a resume

logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
How you recommend I list jobs that went from a temp to permanent position? I have a couple of jobs on my resume where I list the company that was temping for and then separately I list the company that took me on full time. Technically it's the same job, I just get paid by a different company. When I was last job hunting this was always a problem for recruiters and HR people to understand. I always found myself having to explain it when I think it should be pretty obvious. Another reason I think I need to change the way I list these position is the fact that all of these different job listings makes my resume too long.
What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a 3 month effort on my resume. It was 3 month right to hire, I didn't want the job once the project ended so I took up another position. On my resume I list. Data Analyst - Contractor. I've noticed if I am upfront about it the conversation is less uncomfortable.

Sorry saved before I finished, had something come up......

With that said.... Since you took the position.

I'd roll them together and if you feel compelled mention that somewhere in the job description or title. Again my apologies.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How you recommend I list jobs that went from a temp to permanent position? I have a couple of jobs on my resume where I list the company that was temping for and then separately I list the company that took me on full time. Technically it's the same job, I just get paid by a different company.

I would prefer to see a single entry. I don't care who paid you, I care about the job responsibilities and how long you performed them. If you want, you can put in a blurb in the description that this was contract to hire, blah, blah, blah.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, I would list it the employer who ultimately hired me, and not put it on the resume. If you're asked in detail about the job during the interview, then briefly mention it was a temp to perm or contract to hire position. Otherwise, treat it as if you worked there the entire time, which as you said, technically you did.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,047 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep it simple,
    just list your Full duration under the Real Company.

So, if you worked 6 months under Joe's Contacting, and the next 6 months directly under Delta Airlines;
    then list it on your resume as Delta Airlines 12 months.

It's up to HR to do their duediligence; and many times... they dont.

if some HR actually does catch the discrepancy, tell the truth: You were there the whole time; just under different pimps.
    tell them they are free to contact your references to confirm.
    /shrug

One caveat:
    Resumes are One thing; Federal Job Applications are another.

On federal applications/paperwork; list your work-history 100% accurately.
    But i would still leave my resume 'consolidated'.

Again, it is up to HR to do their due-diligence...
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't even bother listing my time at the company as temp.

If you worked at "company A" for 3 months as temp and then 3 more months at "company A" as perm, you list you worked at "company A" for 6 months.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    You were there the whole time; just under different pimps.
    LOL!
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Resumes are One thing; Federal Job Applications are another.

That makes sense. I guess I've been approaching my resume almost as if it was a job application. I always want it to be as accurate as possible. I didn't want to have to deal with any discrepancies between my resume and the application. I also don't want to have a 3 page resume so I think I will make the changes and consolidate those job listings. Thanks to everyone that replied!