Options

As a percentage, what's a pass?

flanqueflanque Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've covered all the CBT study material and had a go at the practice exam. I got 80% but according to this particular product a pass is 95%. Seems very high to get 95%. In fact if you do the math I have to get 48 of the total 50 questions in the exam right.

There are definately areas I need to study on and I know this, but as a percentage what's a "pass mark" in the real 70-270 exam?

I've never come across an exam anywhere else in my studies (including University degree) that requires a 95% pass mark.

Comments

• Options
    Kevin_cambs_ukKevin_cambs_uk Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    700 out of 1000 so 70%

Kev
  • Options
    Yeah I figured as much. A 95% pass mark is excessively high if you asked me.

I think I will try to cover more of the areas that I had trouble with and continue to go through the practice examinations.
  • Options
    Done another practice test and I got 78%. I'd hazard that this is where I would roughly be at.

I guess I'm now somewhat wondering whether or not I should go for the exam. If the passing mark is 70% and I am getting ~80% then is it worth studying the rest of the material to bother getting higher than that?

There's no benefit other than bragging rights (and I guess that you know more material) to trying to get higher scores in practice exams right?

It's not like there's a "passing with distinction" grading I assume...
  • Options
    Kevin_cambs_ukKevin_cambs_uk Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to admit I found the questions on the Microsift CD with the 270 book infinately more dificult than the questions in the exam.

I found the exam tough not because the questions were hard but because the range of topics was so vast, you had to know everything cause theres just so much to it.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    flanque,

The reason they recommend you get at least 90% (and in this case 95%) is due to the fact that it is a practice exam, not the real one. The reason you want to get a higher percentage of the practice exam is to make sure you cover your weaker areas, just in case the actual exam questions from its pool focus in on one of them.

There is another reason you should want to score higher in the practice exams, and that is the additional anxiety you may encounter when sitting for the actual exam, the wierd wording of some of the pool questions, and some of the newer question formats, that may take a second or two to figure out (drag and drop, item/dialog selection, etc...) that are necessarily represented well on the practice exams.

Best of luck,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+