Options

I've been hired by Geek Squad

2»

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    I am Jealous :) Congrats

I have tried several times getting hired into Geek Squad, but my application has always been turned down. Geek Squad is very hard to get into, not many job openings for Geek Squad in my area so your very lucky your getting the experience and chance many people with computer degrees and certs are never given.

As a scientific experiment, I wonder what would happen if you applied for helpdesk or similar roles, only on your resume leave off all degrees and only include work experience going back 5 years. Well maybe any references to the CDL gig too, because that makes you look a weird age. The certs would stay on the resume. Don't put when you graduated high school--make it on paper appear that you might even be in your early/mid 20s. That's how I did it to get my foot in the door after a mid-career change.

Just a small experiment to 3 or 4 open positions--they're not even going to call back anyway right?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    limpylegslimpylegs Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I need some advice because my customer service skills are still kind of noobish. I've been working on this job for a few weeks already and I've gotten better at de-escalation and being able to match the customers needs with the geek squad services offered. I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know how they handle appliances or home theater because let's just be honest...I'm into building towers. With that being said I know my **** when it comes to at the very least building a pretty reliable performance PC. It's basically just throwing together a whole bunch of expensive lego's if I'm going to be using laymens terms. So this client walks into the precinct with a slightly older gaming PC and a home theater receiver. I had to ask my tech what we did with receivers and he misinterpreted that as me not knowing what a receiver was. During the course of the interaction with him right in front of the client on the sales floor I had mentioned that the motherboard was a sata 2(because it was literally printed on the motherboard) and their son asked me what that meant(the computer was pre-built and almost 7 years old at this point). So I merely explained to him that if he upgraded to a motherboard with a SATA III he would get a faster boot time on his machine. The tech (who has been there for 3 years) has enough nerve to look at me and say "Who told you there was a SATA 1,2 and 3? that's not a thing there is just SATA" then I paused completely shocked that he had enough gull to say that to me in front of a customer. We all know from the first 3 chapters of any CompTIA A+ manual that this isn't true. Not only that but he took advantage of my hesitation and said "If you're going to claim it, learn how to own it".

He basically made me look like a complete idiot in front of a client and his children left them thinking that I didn't know what I was talking about just because I didn't have a geek squad badge.

What's the best way to proceed with this situation? Do I slam the A+ manual down on the desk in front of him and call him out on his lack of knowledge? Do I confront management about it or do I just let it go? I really feel like any "tech" who has been working for geek squad for 3 years should at least know that there are 3 different generations of SATA and what their speeds are.

I'm not quite as upset at him saying something incorrect as I am that he made me look like an idiot in front of a customer for something that I knew was absolutely 100% correct.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't waste my time correcting them. If you know your $hit, then it will show. There will be other times "weird systems" will come through, so don't let them get under your skin. Don't be "the know it all" at geek squad like they are pretending to be. I recall this is only "short term" until you can gain some certs & then move on to better things.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    limpylegs wrote: »
    So I need some advice because my customer service skills are still kind of noobish. I've been working on this job for a few weeks already and I've gotten better at de-escalation and being able to match the customers needs with the geek squad services offered. I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know how they handle appliances or home theater because let's just be honest...I'm into building towers. With that being said I know my **** when it comes to at the very least building a pretty reliable performance PC. It's basically just throwing together a whole bunch of expensive lego's if I'm going to be using laymens terms. So this client walks into the precinct with a slightly older gaming PC and a home theater receiver. I had to ask my tech what we did with receivers and he misinterpreted that as me not knowing what a receiver was. During the course of the interaction with him right in front of the client on the sales floor I had mentioned that the motherboard was a sata 2(because it was literally printed on the motherboard) and their son asked me what that meant(the computer was pre-built and almost 7 years old at this point). So I merely explained to him that if he upgraded to a motherboard with a SATA III he would get a faster boot time on his machine. The tech (who has been there for 3 years) has enough nerve to look at me and say "Who told you there was a SATA 1,2 and 3? that's not a thing there is just SATA" then I paused completely shocked that he had enough gull to say that to me in front of a customer. We all know from the first 3 chapters of any CompTIA A+ manual that this isn't true. Not only that but he took advantage of my hesitation and said "If you're going to claim it, learn how to own it".

He basically made me look like a complete idiot in front of a client and his children left them thinking that I didn't know what I was talking about just because I didn't have a geek squad badge.

What's the best way to proceed with this situation? Do I slam the A+ manual down on the desk in front of him and call him out on his lack of knowledge? Do I confront management about it or do I just let it go? I really feel like any "tech" who has been working for geek squad for 3 years should at least know that there are 3 different generations of SATA and what their speeds are.

I'm not quite as upset at him saying something incorrect as I am that he made me look like an idiot in front of a customer for something that I knew was absolutely 100% correct.

I agree with @schohan

This guy is a jerk. I think he's feels threatened by a new guy that is coming into Best Buy that knows his way around a PC. The guy has been there for three years. I'm really three years at Geek Squad......

I would cert up and leave best buy after a 6 months to a year. See if they have training and soak it up like a sponge.

If you're around a customer when this guy is around, then I would say ,so Tom(making a name up) what do you think would be best in this scenario?

I know it sucks, but this would stroke his ego and he would feel like the expert.

I wouldn't go to management, because..
    A... you haven't made your 90 days yet
    B.. they don't like it when employee cannot resolve issues on their own.
    C. You're new..see a

Keep studying for the certs, and keep your eye on the prize!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    limpylegslimpylegs Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't really say anything to him because I need to have more respect for the job. Trust me there were plenty of things I would have wanted to say to him, but I basically removed myself from the situation because I knew that his tenure there and his own relationships and favoritism would have overshadowed fact.

Not that big of a deal to just put up with him for just a year and half After that long I could just apply as a repair technician at any other store I wanted to even if they didn't promote me because he feels like he's superior.

It just really bugs me that somebody who touts themselves as a "technician" doesn't think SATA generations are a "thing".

But I guess every time I hear something like that come out of his mouth I'll just burst into laughter.

I just feel bad for the customer who's thinking he's going to get a faster hard drive and spend money on a III when it will only go as fast as a II icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He won't be the first person like that you'll run into, unfortunately.

You never know, that customer that heard you talk about SATA gens may go home and research it. Then he'll see you know your stuff and request you during his next visit. Now THAT is satisfying.

You did the right thing. It's too easy to lash back. Like said, its only temporary, get your certs and move on to better things.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Take the high road and move on. Like others have said, you will find idiots like this in every level of IT (and elsewhere).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good job just letting it roll off of you. But please, for your career, start looking for helpdesk jobs. It will be more relevant to your long term career and as long as you have good people skills and communication it's not hard to get those jobs. And you likely won't have situations like that pop up where a "lifer" in a retail role will put you down even though you are in the right. Repair tech jobs are also a dead end as it doesn't prepare you for higher level roles.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, plus retail holiday season is coming & weird hours will be REQUIRED...oh and the CITY TENT lurkers! LOL!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A couple of years ago I tried getting a part time position at Geek Squad to supplement my income. At the time I had my CCNA and ITIL and I was doing a lot of user support, re-imaging, minor network stuff, and I was graded on customer service. I didn't even get an interview...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil