Options

Determining market value

futurehendrixfuturehendrix Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
This might be a dumb question but how do you guys determine your market value following your first entry level job?

Comments

• Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Time in the field
    2. Quantity and quality of that experience
    3. Comparable value of skillset (certs help justify this)
    4. Market

That is about the most basic breakdown. Robert Half always has a book to do some calculations as well for market value.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Ashenwelt stated basically what I would have. To add, the easy way is to do targeted job searches for positions hiring someone with your profile, in your market, and create a range and also an average of the salaries being offered. Obviously you can feel you're worth more than the going rate, but ultimately your value is what the market will bear.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMO - market value isnt a great gauge. I maintain a list of desirable employers and then study them, including expected salaries. There are valid reasons why company #1 pays $100k and company #2 pays $80k, and non-profit #1 pays $60k.
  • Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Node Man wrote: »
    IMO - market value isnt a great gauge. I maintain a list of desirable employers and then study them, including expected salaries. There are valid reasons why company #1 pays $100k and company #2 pays $80k, and non-profit #1 pays $60k.

If company 1 pays $100k and company 2 pays $80k, then nonprofit 1 definitely does not pay 60k, more like 42k. Typically less than half market salary I've found.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”