Options

Provisionally passed CISSP first attempt, 8.30.2018

BoogiBoogi Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
It feels good to have jumped this hurdle.

Materials used.
Official study guide Sybex 7th edition
Official ISC2 Practice question book and website.
Kelly Handerhan's Cybrary videos.

I originally started this epic adventure last spring. Picked up and put down the book many times between then and now, life happened and other excuses. But I got real focused about mid July. Started prioritizing my studies and cleared my calendar. I decided on Sunday, scheduled the test and took it earlier today.

Best piece of advice.
1. Don't be afraid of this test. If you want it bad enough you will sacrifice.
2. Understand the concepts, then the questions don't matter as much.
3. You can do it.

Note
I would score mid 70's across all domains on all my practise tests.

Boogi

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nice! What was your experience base coming into this?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    BoogiBoogi Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have 12+ years in IT.
    I have worked in the following areas HelpDesk, Asset Management, Systems Administration and Info Sec.
  • Options
    ArridTatooineArridTatooine Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

On a more positive note, I would say 'investing in yourself' rather than 'sacrifice'. :)
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    H-bombH-bomb Member Posts: 129 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations Boogi!
  • Options
    adamus1020adamus1020 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very nice! Congrats! icon_cheers.gif

You said you used the Official (ISC)2 Sybex Study Guide 7th Edition? So the new adaptive test was still similar enough to the 7th Edition of the book?

Also, are those the only three references that you used? I am currently studying for the test (which I will most likely take in November) and am using the Official (ISC)2 Sybex Study Guide 8th Edition, the Official (ISC)2 Practice Exams 2nd Edition book and Wiley website, and the Cybrary Kelly Handerhan videos. Do you think these three things will cover pretty well what I will see on the exam?
  • Options
    fjr_guyfjr_guy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think these are the best books:

LINK
    adamus1020 wrote: »
    Very nice! Congrats! icon_cheers.gif

You said you used the Official (ISC)2 Sybex Study Guide 7th Edition? So the new adaptive test was still similar enough to the 7th Edition of the book?

Also, are those the only three references that you used? I am currently studying for the test (which I will most likely take in November) and am using the Official (ISC)2 Sybex Study Guide 8th Edition, the Official (ISC)2 Practice Exams 2nd Edition book and Wiley website, and the Cybrary Kelly Handerhan videos. Do you think these three things will cover pretty well what I will see on the exam?
  • Options
    adamus1020adamus1020 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fjr_guy wrote: »
    I think these are the best books:

LINK

Great! Those are the books that I have been using for study, along with the Cybrary course.
  • Options
    MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job! What's next?
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! I passed one day after you did, back in 2016. It was an awesome way to start off my September :D
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    xcopyxcopy Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    C|EH, CASP, C|DNA, ITIL, VCP6, MCITP:EA + others
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass I remember when I passed the CISSP one of my favorite personal achievements
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig