Listing certifications after your name

mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
I notice this a lot on linkedin. You'll see things like

John Doe, MBA
John Doe, CISSP
John Doe, CCNP, MCSE
John Doe, OSCP

I also see it when working with support. The engineers will put it in their signature.

Does anyone here do this on their linkedin or email?

Comments

• AshenweltAshenwelt FIP, CDPSE, CIPP/E, CIPT, CISM, PSM I, MCSE x3, MCITP x3, MCTS x16 Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep! It identifies some of your "official skillset". It simplifies things. I know it sounds odd, but it does. I list a few certs. Sometimes you alter them for the target audience. Your building your brand. Focus on your personal brand.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LinkedIn, yes. Email sig, no.

I only put it on LinkedIn because they have yet to add a way to highlight a particular title or certification near the top of your profile, and so appending it to your last name is the only way to do this. And I did not do it for any of my certifications prior to CISSP.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • DZA_DZA_ Untitled. Member Posts: 443 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mnashe wrote: »
    Does anyone here do this on their linkedin or email?

I'm guilty for both. Internally for my organization, it has actually brought attention to a few departments which resulted in potential opportunities working in the business technology risk management department, compliance/auditing and finally the PCI-DSS team. All of which I turned down because I'm still fairly new to the enterprise. I only put high level certifications in my signature email now a days.

Cheers,
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 677 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes, I do for some of my certs.
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never done it. Just not my thing.

There was one time when dealing with a particular a-hole that had CISSP right next to his name, that every time I replied to him in a particular email chain, each response I changed mine each response starting with a+ and increasing the font each time until I got to CISSP just for fun
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Senior Member Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't like the idea of doing and kinda felt guilty but I was forced to when working with Army. The soldiers place Sec+ in their email sigs and they constantly argue with me when I'm reviewing and denying their C&A packages for approval, acting like they know more than I do so a game of one-upmanship.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • yoba222yoba222 Senior Member Member Posts: 1,230 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll probably start doing it once I achieve CISSP and OSCP. Maybe GCIH in there too. I always though it looked a little silly when DoD guys had Sec+ in their signature.

Saw a work email with a client that had just CISSP and CEH in his sig. I'll LOLed a bit at that. Not the CISSP.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    at my last job there was a guy who was the go to. one of our lead engineers, blackhat/defcon speaker etc, and just an all around beast. and he had CEH in his sig. it was a running joke, and always made me chuckle.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Senior Member Member Posts: 410 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to, but not anymore, the only document where you will find me listing my certifications after my name is on my resume.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,306 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't do it, our CISO puts CISSP in his signature. My coworker said I should do it to mine too as some sort of power play. Um, not really the kind of power play I want to get into thanks! hah