GSEC Index Review

OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
If I upload my index, will you take a look at it and let me know what you think?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You sure you want to do that? I'm not a fan of making indexes freely available for the lazy. I would gladly review it if you send me a link via PM.
  • OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sure. Can I email it to you? Just PM me your email address.
  • mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recommend using the practice tests as your gauge. Although the concept of the index is pretty standard; people tend to tailor them to their personal liking.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OmniMan wrote: »
    If I upload my index, will you take a look at it and let me know what you think?

How Large is it? When I took my GSEC exam, I had 1800 entries in my index.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't recall if SANS provided an index at the back of the last book for the GSEC class but I know they did for GCIH and GWAPT. I used the index provided by SANS and then I edited it to my liking. For example if they have 10+ pages listed for a subject, I would highlight the page number that actually provided the most value on the index guide because most of the pages they mention aren't valuable...the term is just mentioned on that page.

If SANS does not provide an index, it will depend on how you learn and remember information. For me, I don't add any information to my index besides the term and page number. A lot of the time they wont ask you basic information like "what does a firewall do", so I don't think its worth the time to add definitions.

Feel free to PM me your index page.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• JGSJGS Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took the GSEC and wished I had indexed a lot more terms - I will be posting my thoughts about the GSEC exam and prep later this week.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't recall if SANS provided an index at the back of the last book for the GSEC class but I know they did for GCIH and GWAPT. I used the index provided by SANS and then I edited it to my liking.

I shared my opinion with the SANS indexes on the books before, functionally useless, is my opinion. I would ignore the SANS index and create my own from scratch.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • TikrithTikrith Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with ignoring the SANS indexes for the exam, as i found it to be fairly useless for the exam. The added benefit to creating your own index is it helps reinforce the topics into memory.
    I also borrowed an idea from 'hacksforpancakes'. She recommends color coding the index. It certainly seemed to help me find things faster.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also followed Leslie's guide, and what's funny is that during my practice tests, and the exams, I didn't actually use the colors or tabs at all. I just grabbed the right book, went to the page and was good. Maybe it took an extra minute or so during the exam but i still finished with plenty of extra time.

As for the included SANS index. I actually used it during the test for 2 questions where I didn't have the info in my own index and I was able to find it in the SANS one. I had 2 that I had skipped since I was taking too long and wanted to dig into them later and lucked out that they were part of the included one in the book.