Options

Network Administrator I Salary Questions.

jhench78jhench78 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I hope that some of you would be able to give some guidance/clarity on a promotion opportunity that I am considering. To give some background, I live in Carlisle, PA and currently work in a Help Desk Technician position. The only experience that I have is from a technical high school that I attended for computer programming. I was able to attain this position by working my way up through a consulting company that is hired by the company I work for now (and by the grace of God). Our company operates over the entire US and is based in Carlisle. Since we have plants/operations around the States, we need someone out west to do work/maintenance on IT systems for the entire west coast. There was a guy in the position, but he recently left (due to unknown reasons). As a result, I have been offered the position by our TechOps manager (who knows that I do not have a ton of experience, but knows that I can learn quickly). This seems like a golden opportunity considering my little experience.

Now here is my concern. I feel I am being low-balled with the salary.

I currently make $19/hour at the help desk. I was offered around 55k (not the official number, just an estimate) for the new position (salaried, not hourly). Even though I have little experience, I'm not sure that it is worth it. The job will require 50% travel (which is a low estimate, the manager even admitted that it may be a lot more at times). Also, I will need to move to the west coast for the job. We recently had another Network Admin I hired (similar experience as me), but he is in Carlisle and will not have to travel, and I believe he makes the same that I will. I feel that I should make more as I will be traveling all the time and moving across the country. My hope was that the salary would be 75k. The cost of living is about 15% higher out there anyways (from what I have researched), so it wouldn't be that much of a raise for a ton more work with higher living expenses. I also know that I will be working a lot of overtime and not getting paid extra (since I will be salaried).

Now my questions.

Am I asking for too much? Should I try to negotiate to 75k? Am I being low-balled, or is 55k a fair salary? Should I try my luck with a different company or just count my blessings where I am at?

Thank you for your time and responses. I have some time to consider everything while the official offer (and salary) is being put together. Please let me know if there is anything I should consider as well.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Location is a big factor. What does "west coast" mean exactly?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    If this is your first network admin job, I think you are asking too much, but try to see if they will go that high (since the West Coast is expensive). If they don't budge try with another company.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Im sure others will chime in, but you really need to see the whole package being offered. Are benefits included, and if so, what is your percentage that you have to pay? Keep in mind that most benefit pkgs are worth 20% of the entire compensation.

Since they are requiring a move, are they paying relocation expenses of your household goods? Temporary lodging while you look for a place to live?

Do you know the zipcode/area they expect you to live in? There are several salary calculators online that you can compare your current salary to what you think you will be earning? 19/hr is 39.520 salary (hourly x 2080). Perhaps you can negotiate a temporary deal where housing is paid for during a period of time? Lots to consider.
  • Options
    I have a choice of Tooele, Utah or Puyallup, Wa. I’ll most likely go with Tooele as the cost of living is less. Benefits would be the same that I am getting now. They are going to pay for relocation expenses and 1-2 months of rent. Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You should go visit Tooele. See if you'd like the lifestyle...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    They did send me out to both. I could definitely see myself living there. Carlisle and Tooele both have their advantages and disadvantages, so the physical location does not make much difference to me (aside from cost of living).
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Location is a big factor. What does "west coast" mean exactly?

That's my first thought, If the West Coast is Silicon Valley, then yes 55k is not enough. If your talking Oregon, it's not too bad.
    As for asking for 75k without experience, I think your pushing for it, try 60k because you have to relocate. When your more experienced you can push for more $.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was on help desk at 19 something an hour, first Network Admin job salaried 60500.

Perhaps you could ask to be paid by the hour, and make sure to get per diem.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would depend where on the west coast. But if its southern California I would say no unless you think you will like it here and maybe transition to another company. But 55k you will be scrapping by here unless you dont have any expenses.
  • Options
    jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The thing that I would be "concerned" about is being on salary + alot of travel. You could end up pulling 60-70hr weeks. At that point, 55k is much less than it seems.

On the flip side, it could be a great learning opportunity and put your career on the fast track. Just my two cents brother.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So one quick note... If 55k and salary... It needs to be non ex got or run. 55k salary exempt for IT in California for example would be illegal. So double check if overtime will be available. And double check the law in that state.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog