Options

The Next Steps

10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE Community :)

I've been absent! Been working full time, finished uni in 3 years, traveled the world and finally finished the CCNP recently. Right, so its time to take the next step and find my next job. However there is so many good directions in the world it's hard to decide. Here are my current ideas and I would love some feedback or perhaps even your own ideas that will spark new thought processes.

1. I need another certification.
2. Which one! Current thoughts: CCNA Cyber Ops or GSEC.
3. Reservations: CCNA Cyber is new so I am waiting for CBT to publish a series on it and any potential waves to be smoothed in the OCG and exam - not saying there are any but who knows (tell me otherwise please). GSEC seems to have a descent reputation, but is expensive. Honestly I should (want) to do both. But only have until Nov at the latest.

Expired certs: A+, N+, S+.

But yea, I know it depends on what I want to do, but I think in todays world you (should) have a good amount of security training even if you are not a day in day out security analyst.

Anyways, what does everyone think is a solid security certification where I can learn a descent amount and achieve a good amount of ROI via resume recognition with it on there.

Thank you!
CCNP R&S, Security+
B.S. Geography - Business Minor
MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
Professional Certificate - IT Project Management

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say it entirely depends on what job you got and what your duties are. Don't think a security cert is needed for a lot of positions. Yes, security is important in all positions. But it isn't like other certs, like your CCNP, don't cover security within their technologies.

Sec+ or SSCP (CISSP if you got the experience) are general ones you could do if you really wanted something though.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NetworkNewb, I think it's time your name got an upgrade!

Agreed it depends, the thing is, as much as I am trying to resist, it seems all the positions I am most qualified for / have the highest probability of getting are DoD related (Harris, Boeing, etc) so it's like okay, well I should get some type of security cert for compliance (thats why I had the Trio back in the day) but also, one with the marketability to look good to just other everyday employers as well.

I think I may go GSEC, however it's strange that such a longer and more expensive test is held at the same level as Sec+ which I thought was a breeze, even at 19....

The best part about IT, choosing your own path. The worst part about IT, will your chosen path work!? lol...
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management