Options

Working for a bad boss

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
Couldn't help but share this....

"A study of 3,122 Swedish male employees found that those who work for toxic bosses were 60% more likely to suffer a heart attack, stroke, or other life-threatening cardiac condition. Other studies in American workplaces show that people with toxic bosses are more susceptible to chronic stress, depression, and anxiety, all of which increase the risk of a lowered immune system, colds, strokes, and even heart attacks. Some studies show that it may take up to 22 months to recover physically and emotionally from a toxic boss. While the idea of quitting may seem scary, the reality of staying in a job with a toxic boss can be even scarier."

https://hbr.org/2018/09/what-to-do-when-you-have-a-bad-boss
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great stats, stress kills, everyone knows it's bad but I doubt most realize it's that bad.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for posting this. Rep
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is why I vet the heck out of employers I interview with. I do not want to end up in a nightmare job.
  • Options
    RinzlerRinzler Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a toxic team lead who turned a good team into an awful team. Gave bad reviews for reasons unwarranted and its that person's words against yours when your concerns were brought to upper management. This person thought he/she got the better of me but I played my cards right so I am at a better place. There are others who also played their cards right so they are also at a better place. As long as upper management enables this behavior this person will continue his/her agenda. It seems the upper management has been turning a blind eye because I hear that this person is still there...
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep makes sense. People tell me all the time about how they dislike their boss or just other people who have power / influence in their organizations and abuse it. Treat people right. Tomorrow the sun will come up no matter what. Is what they are doing, or want to do, or think the company is doing, really that important? Answer: no. It's not. So be nice you only get this life once.

<<< Extreme dislike for rude people. Feels chronically confused by the entire spectacle of mistreating people.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I actually used to be this kind of person. I wasn't a manager, but a supervisor. My manager pulled me aside and told me what I was doing, and how our workers were feeling about my negative attitude. I took it to heart and made a decision to change. About 3 months later my manager and coworkers praised me for how much I changed, and how they enjoyed working there so much more.

Remember, there IS an "I" in TEAM... it's hidden in the A-hole.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Basic85 wrote: »
    This is why I vet the heck out of employers I interview with. I do not want to end up in a nightmare job.

Isn't it great having a good job and interviewing with people? I am myself 92% of the time (guessing ;).... No acting, I can hear their voice get weird and I'll ask them what's wrong? It's almost become a game on phone interviews. Ironically enough, when I miss on the job, one thing never fails. We really like candidate X he had the best personality we came across. We felt he was a great fit but unfortantly he didn't have enough experience..... Could be lies, but I don't think so.....

A lot of the interviews I am going for have certain tools I barely used ~1 year or not at all so what they saying makes sense.
  • Options
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    I actually used to be this kind of person... My manager pulled me aside and told me what I was doing...

Good job on changing!

Amazing how many people aren't aware of the effects they have on others.

• Options
    I found those numbers confronting.

We all know there is a connection between anxiety/depression/heart problems and having a bad boss, but "hose who work for toxic bosses were 60% more likely to suffer a heart attack, stroke, or other life-threatening cardiac condition"

• Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Couldn't help but share this....

"A study of 3,122 Swedish male employees found that those who work for toxic bosses were 60% more likely to suffer a heart attack, stroke, or other life-threatening cardiac condition. Other studies in American workplaces show that people with toxic bosses are more susceptible to chronic stress, depression, and anxiety, all of which increase the risk of a lowered immune system, colds, strokes, and even heart attacks. Some studies show that it may take up to 22 months to recover physically and emotionally from a toxic boss. While the idea of quitting may seem scary, the reality of staying in a job with a toxic boss can be even scarier."

https://hbr.org/2018/09/what-to-do-when-you-have-a-bad-boss

Realized this 3 years ago.......
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lesson of the day: Like what you do and the people you work with. Don't eat with the toxic boss either as the effects of eating a healthy meal are negated. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/well/mind/stress-may-counteract-effects-of-a-healthful-diet.html?src=recg
  • Options
    greg9891 wrote: »
    Realized this 3 years ago.......

I know it's personal, but are you able to share some of the details with us? it can be very helpful for us

• Options
    Tekn0logy - Thanks for posting this link. Good insights

Agreed with Unix, if you wouldn't mind sharing Greg. I've had some horrible bosses early in my career. Talk about a nightmare, I eventually quit with no job. I delivered pizza's after graduating from college and quitting my job in HR, which I had held for ~5 years.
  • Options
    Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm surprised how little scrutiny anyone's given the study so far.

Having read the abstract, you could also conclude that people who are just generally more critical of their peers or superiors tend to correlate with ill health.

You could ask a Scientology member to rate their superior, they'd probably give a glowing review.
  • Options
    Sheiko37 wrote: »

Having read the abstract, you could also conclude that people who are just generally more critical of their peers or superiors tend to correlate with ill health.

You could ask a Scientology member to rate their superior, they'd probably give a glowing review.

and some people swear that earth is flat...that doesn't constitute as a finding either.

I'm not an academic research expert, but the link to the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2602855/

I'm not sure how many times it has been reviewed as I haven't really checked, but looks like it has been cited several times from the link:
    "A recent meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies examining determinants of cardiovascular disease, suggests an average excess risk of 50% in employees who are exposed to an adverse psychosocial work environment (eg, high job strain).1 These results have considerable clinical implications, especially since psychosocial stressors at work are relatively common"

I didn't feel the need to verify each study because Harvard business review is reputable so I trust they've done that, and the results aren't really outrageous. The relationship between heart problems & stress isn't anything new, that's why I didn't go into each link to verify each study

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sheiko37 wrote: »

If you dug a bit, you would find where it was published and what the peer-review criteria is. Took me about three minutes. https://authors.bmj.com/after-submitting/peer-review-process/

This doesn't seem to be a "pay for publication" journal, to quote "Occupational and Environmental Medicine is adopted as the official journal of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians of London."
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Truth. I got sick pretty much every month in retail. Been working IT for 7 months and never got so much as a cold yet.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Good job on changing!

Amazing how many people aren't aware of the effects they have on others.

Aye, therein lies the rub: many of the bad bosses will not recognize themselves in that label. They'll say that they're "a strong personality", "a driven boss", "someone who puts their foot down"! But they won't see themselves as "bad bosses". Possibly quite the opposite.
  • Options
    victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aye, therein lies the rub: many of the bad bosses will not recognize themselves in that label. They'll say that they're "a strong personality", "a driven boss", "someone who puts their foot down"! But they won't see themselves as "bad bosses". Possibly quite the opposite.

Inability or unwillingness to admit one's failures is a hallmark of a bad boss.

Excessively throwing around jargon, acronyms, and other fluffy language - "driven boss" or "strong personality," for example. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Deal plainly with others. Anything else is a bad boss.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • Options
    victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Basic85 wrote: »

It is possible to vet an employer thoroughly, only for everything to go wrong - for example, your boss quits before your first day, and nobody tells you that you have a new boss who hates you from day one and wants to make you go away.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • Options
    ..."a strong personality"...

Oh dear! I've yet to meet a person who claims to have a "strong personality" and not be a terrible incompetent boss/professional.

• Options
    XiaoLi101XiaoLi101 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for sharing this info. Yes, working environment really has an impact on the health of employees. If it's toxic, both your mental and physical conditions will be affected. Working with a leader is different from working with a boss. A Leader is someone who understands his followers beyond the professional boundary. He knows that he is dealing with human beings, not machines. A boss doesn't understand people — treating employees like robots. This is enough reason to leave your job. On the other hand, there are unreasonable excuses to leave your employer. I found an article on this matter:https://www.infotechresume.com/lame-excuses-quit-current-job/According to this post, hating your co-worker is one of the lame excuses for quitting your job. Another one is feeling overworked. In this case, I think you just have to take a vacation. If you have other reasons for leaving your employer aside from having a bad boss and want to know if they are valid ones, you may check these articles:https://www.thebalancecareers.com/top-good-reasons-to-quit-your-job-2061010https://www.cleverism.com/10-good-reasons-leaving-job/