Options

Took and Passed 70-271 Exam

rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
June 4th : It's been awhile since I've taken an MS exam, so it felt good to study and pass on the first attempt. Still, while taking the exam I didn't feel that I adequately studied everything that was presented, and was pleasently surprised by my 883 score.

I used the Sybex MCDST Study Guide (ISBN: 0-7821-4352-0) that covers both 70-271 and 70-272 exams. And even though I thought it is well written, there were a few areas that it didn't cover (that I can remember) or didn't cover in the detail required by the exam questions I encountered.

Initially, I also used the free Microsoft e-Learning courses for the two exams.

I also read (and used the links for further study) the free online CertCities.com Exam Review for MCDST Exam 70-271 by Any Barkl.

The Sybex book comes with electronic flash cards and sample exams. The only problem with the two bonus exams is they contain questions from both MCDST exams. I have basically studied for both exams, but am glad I didn't try to attempt both today... I was pretty burnt after the first one. I also want to do a little more studying prior to taking 272.

The topics that came up during my exam that I didn't feel were covered in the book were:
:: Service Pack 2 - related questions (i.e. Available SP2 distribution types, IE security changes, Windows Firewall features, etc...)
:: USB-related issues and troubleshooting (i.e. USB Hard Disks, Power, Conflicts between devices, etc...)
:: How can you recover a file that has been deleted on a network share?

The test covered every objective area pretty well, so I'm sure that's why I still managed to do fairly well.

Take Care,
Rcoop
Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

I like Andy Barkl's exam reviews, apart from being a good overview of the exam objectives, it does indeed often include links to good online resources.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    I haven't used Andy Barkl exam reviews before on any other tests, but what I like best about the article (and what I found most helpful) were the Tip: sections mixed throughout. Great if you like to make your own flash cards, or for a quick review.

Of course, the exam review articles are not enough information to pass any exam.

Thanks everyone for the congrats... now continuing on...

Take Care,
    Rcoop[/i]
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    namanama Member Posts: 187
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude.......
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE