Options

When applying to jobs, do you

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
When applying to jobs, do you make sure that you meet every single required skillset?

Say for instance, you have been in software testing for 10+ years and you see a job posting at a different company who pays significantly more, seems to foster a better culture, and all around looks like a better fit for you.

Scenario:

You look at the description.
Everything looks like the things you have been accustomed to so far (SDLC, manual testing, etc). And there are a lot of requirements.

You stumble across only 1 thing that you haven't had direct interaction with. In this case, it's selenium. You've written automated tests for a program which has Selenium as the framework, however, you have not dealt with the framework at the level you think this company is referencing in the job description.

Do you still apply or skip?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I make sure I meet 80%. Don't get hung up on the things you can't. If they like your resume, you will be called.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I make sure I meet 80%. Don't get hung up on the things you can't. If they like your resume, you will be called.

My thoughts, and if you have questions or concerns then you can ask. I recently did this with a tool in SQL Server. I didn't have enough experience for this particular role, but they liked me enough to keep in contact with me. Of course I didn't get the job, oh well.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    When applying to jobs, do you make sure that you meet every single required skillset?

Hardly.

1. If they required someone to fulfill every posting requirement, chances are they would no applicants. It's rare that someone meets every requirement of a job posting. I would apply even if I only met 50% of the requirements.

2. Often job posting descriptions are outdated, or written by someone other then the hiring manager.

I recall one position the posting mentioned experience with Datacard printers, something I had a lot of experience with. When I mentioned this in the interview, they said they don't have or use Datacard printers anymore.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I apply for any job that looks interesting regardless of my qualifications. I have never met all of the requirements for any job that I have landed.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Story from the trenches. Many years ago I applied to a job where i didn't hit 25% of the requirements. I got the job super easy. After I started, I asked the hiring manager why the post had those technology requirements if I didn't see them anywhere in our stack. His answer: "yeah, you are right. I have no idea where that came from becuase I've been here for X years and have never seen it".

So leasson learned: just apply.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    "I have no idea where that came from becuase I've been here for X years and have never seen it".

This is why if your a hiring manager, you need to proof check what HR is posting in the ad before they run it. Sure you'll get the guy who matches up with your every requirement, Windows NT, experience with Netscape, Lotus 123, and dBASE. But are these the qualifications your really looking for?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No, and the reason is that I would usually be looking for jobs that offer a chance to grow.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If I made sure I met 100% of the requirements I don't think I'd ever apply to any job. Not any that aren't a step backwards anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.