Options

Security titles

I am curious if there are any It Security Engineers or Security Operators here?
I would like to know the role and day to day job of these titles?
CCNA R&S, MCSA.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I literally just got out of a meeting with HR over the confusion of job titles in the security field. Random stat out of the air, but it feels like most of the jobs are either "analyst" or "engineer" covering DFIR, pentesting, SOC work, policy, management and everything in between. The sad truth is that almost any answer you get here correlated to a specific title likely isn't going to be the same job responsibilities you find locally.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    To Danielm7's point the golden rule is that titles mean NOTHING. A security engineer can be anything from a compliance checkmark monkey to a SOC analyst, to a hardcore pen tester.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I get to basically choose my own job title. So I identify as a cybersecurity analyst. It seems cyber is a bit more trendy these days than infosec. I do mainly compliance, a dab of incident response, a good amount of vulnerability management, and occasional pentesting. I think putting the word engineer in there would probably sound more impressive but I'd be lying if I did that.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yoba222 wrote: »
    I get to basically choose my own job title. So I identify as a cybersecurity analyst. It seems cyber is a bit more trendy these days than infosec. I do mainly compliance, a dab of incident response, a good amount of vulnerability management, and occasional pentesting. I think putting the word engineer in there would probably sound more impressive but I'd be lying if I did that.

Hats off to being credible.