Options

IT Security Certification Path

JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
Here is the plan I have to pursue IT Security certifications. Please let me know if you have any input.

This is in the particular order I'd like to pursue them.

Network+
eJPT
OSCP
[h=3][/h]
Would like some input on this track :)

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do you want to do in IT security? I'd say your list sounds like pen tester, but the field is far wider than just pen testing so you want to know what you want first, then pick certs to get there.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It sounds good. What is your experience now? Any IT experience?

Network+, maybe Security+, then eJPT and OSCP. The Security+ I only list as it gives a great foundation for security. A lot of theory, not really hands on or practical. But, it definitely is worthwhile.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PC509 wrote: »
    maybe Security+...The Security+ I only list as it gives a great foundation for security. A lot of theory, not really hands on or practical. But, it definitely is worthwhile.

It shows under his name that he already has Security+.

@ JSN - I would skip Network+ since you have Security+. Just like Danielm7 says, it seems like you are interested in pentesting based on two of the certs you listed. If that is the case, then you can do eJPT and OSCP in that order. If you have an employer that would pay for SANS training then I would suggest GPEN before OSCP. If you have time to kill and want a resume filler to get past the HR filter then I would also say CEH.

There are multiple directions that you can go in within security so please think about what it is that you would like to do. The SANS Cyber Security Skills Roadmap is a good way to see the different areas.

https://www.sans.org/cyber-security-skills-roadmap
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry forgot I had this thread. I am going on 2 years of Help Desk experience, and I'd like to move myself into something new.
  • Options
    SlythSlyth Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi JSN!

There is a course called the RedTeam Blueprint that i took a while back that was designed for someone with your experience to get them into the Pen Tester AKA Red Teaming career path. I believe they have 300+ videos on everything from what a Red Team is, how to build out that team at scale in the Enterprise world, Windows/Linux internal's, ASM course, hacking, shellcode review, etc. What i really liked is the section on how to actually land one of these jobs and they have an entire module for it along with what certs and when. Based on what their course stated you want to get the certs in the following order. Of course it does vary per person and their current skillset, etc. Always remember some of the best Red Teamers are the ones that have touched and worked with multiple area's of IT. Its important to understand how things are setup, ran, managed, etc before you can figure out a new way to attack it. The RedTeam Blueprint has this in a nice bundle! The link is below if you want to check it out.

Network+
    Security+
    OSCP
    CISSP
  • Options
    SlythSlyth Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi JSN!

There is a course called the RedTeam Blueprint that i took a while back that was designed for someone with your experience to get them into the Pen Tester AKA Red Teaming career path. I believe they have 300+ videos on everything from what a Red Team is, how to build out that team at scale in the Enterprise world, Windows/Linux internal's, ASM course, hacking, shellcode review, etc. What i really liked is the section on how to actually land one of these jobs and they have an entire module for it along with what certs and when. Based on what their course stated you want to get the certs in the following order. Of course it does vary per person and their current skillset, etc. Always remember some of the best Red Teamers are the ones that have touched and worked with multiple area's of IT. Its important to understand how things are setup, ran, managed, etc before you can figure out a new way to attack it. The RedTeam Blueprint has this in a nice bundle! The link is below if you want to check it out.

Network+
    Security+
    OSCP
    CISSP