Options

Getting into IT field

jnyuntjnyunt Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
I read afew posts here, and some of them really interest me. I just really graduated from Uni with electrical engineering. Well, like some people, I have more interest in IT field then engineering. So i did lots of IT electives through out uni, such as network security, network communication,ebusiness and programming. But when i looked for IT jobs , most , well i mean all of them i found, asking for some IT certifications. Then , i stopped looking for jobs and started studying. I started with A+, then NET+(havent done exam yet). then after NET+, I am not sure where to go, CCNA or microsoft certification. I have more than 5 years experience in home base networking and technical support from local computer shop and private computer repair business.
So which way should i go? both or little bit of both or just one?
James

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What interests you more, LAN/WAN networking or System Administration? If you want to work with computers/servers go for the MS. If you like command line, network backbones, and communications go for Cisco. Obviously both come in handy and cross job paths. As a LAN admin I generally spend my time on the 25 or so servers I administer, but I also have to configure and trouble shoot the occasional router and several dozen switches on our network.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well... in my opinion.... you should at least get those baseline certs first... like you said... A+ and Net+ are good starters.... then go the Microsoft route seeing as how they own the computer world as we know... but we don't always want to admit it... it's true... Microsoft Certs don't normally expire unlike that of Cisco's in which you have to renew every 2-3 years.. (ie. CCNA) - however I'll be going to the Cisco route after Microsoft seeing as how most all of the Internet's communication devices are Cisco, it would benefit you to gain some knowledge in those areas and it will make you a lot more marketable.

You are more interested in the IT security section so you could then look for security-related certifications like CompTIA's Security+ and ISC2 CISSP (top-level IT pro security cert) or also... you may want to look into CWNA's wireless certifications... which will be really hot now and in the future I would imagine... since everything is or will be going wireless.

I hope this helps you out, good luck in the future, send me a PM or email if you have any more questions icon_wink.gif

Phil
  • Options
    jnyuntjnyunt Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for replies,
    I would go for cisco, caz networking always has interested me. then go for VOIP i guess.
    James
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    CCNA doesn't help you unless you work for a large company. Most smaller companies can't afford that hardware.

Keep that in mind when you choose your career path.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trailerisf wrote:
    CCNA doesn't help you unless you work for a large company. Most smaller companies can't afford that hardware.
    I would disagree. A CCNA can help you get any tech job, small or large. If a small company needs network equipment, Cisco has stuff in several price ranges. The "small" companies you mention may not be able to afford to pay an MCSE the prevailing wages anyway. If you work for a mom and pop shop, you are basically looking at A+ and Net+. There are exceptions to every rule however, but I wouldn't go so far as to say a CCNA only helps you if you work for a large company.
    Just my .02
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I would disagree. A CCNA can help you get any tech job, small or large. If a small company needs network equipment, Cisco has stuff in several price ranges. The "small" companies you mention may not be able to afford to pay an MCSE the prevailing wages anyway. If you work for a mom and pop shop, you are basically looking at A+ and Net+. There are exceptions to every rule however, but I wouldn't go so far as to say a CCNA only helps you if you work for a large company.
    Just my .02

Couldn't have said it better myself. CCNA is a good cert for anyone interested in networking.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"