SY0-501 Performance Based Questions

technewtechnew Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited July 2019 in Security+
Hello Friends

I'll be taking my Security + exam in 2 weeks and need some recommendations and sources to practice performance based questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• _netmon_netmon Level 99 Wizard Mod Posts: 878 Mod
    MeasureUps is in my opinion the best practice test vendor for all CompTIA and Microsoft exams (not taken other exams yet to compare). I used it for my Sec+ and the level of difficulty is next to the real exam, if not harder. If you can score 80/90% on those you should be fine. They contain all types of questions that could show up (practical and multiple choice) and you can customise the tests yourself. They also give detailed responses to correct and incorrect answers, so it can also be used as a study source.

https://www.measureup.com/

https://www.measureup.com/comptia-security-sy0-501.html - if you scroll down on this page there is a free Sec+ demo test you can try before buying.
    2020 goals: Server 2016 MCSA/MCSE (70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744), Powershell training
    2021 goals: RHCSA/RHCE, AWS, Python training

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • technewtechnew Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks a lot!!! will do
  • D20D20 Member Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MeasureUps is in my opinion the best practice test vendor for all CompTIA and Microsoft exams (not taken other exams yet to compare). I used it for my Sec+ and the level of difficulty is next to the real exam, if not harder. If you can score 80/90% on those you should be fine. They contain all types of questions that could show up (practical and multiple choice) and you can customise the tests yourself. They also give detailed responses to correct and incorrect answers, so it can also be used as a study source.

https://www.measureup.com/

https://www.measureup.com/comptia-security-sy0-501.html - if you scroll down on this page there is a free Sec+ demo test you can try before buying.

+ 1 for MeasureUp

I used MeasureUp for my A+ and i agree with the above. It was very beneficial as a test prep. I have the Sec+ MeausreUp as well, but haven't started it yet as i'm still reading the Darril Gibson book and learning.
    Certifications: A+ Sec+
    2020 Goals: Pass VMware Foundations Exam
    Thanks guys!
    The comptia sec + package from measureup is pretty expensive ($319 for question and labs). Anyone has any discount codes or anything to reduce the cost?
    Just go for the practice tests at $119. I've never seen the need for labs with a CompTIA exam, they're not as complex like Microsoft. If you do need to physically practice the content, follow along with Professer Messer and create your own labs. He also hosts live study groups each month (the next one is on 17th October), and because these resources are all free, I personally don't see the point spending loads on training materials for CompTIA, seeing as the exams are already expensive enough...

https://www.professormesser.com/security-plus/sy0-501/sy0-501-training-course/
    2020 goals: Server 2016 MCSA/MCSE (70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744), Powershell training

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
    While I'm here, I'll just throw in my own experience with the exam. I'm not sure if you've done a CompTIA exam before, but feel free to take on my advice if you want.

This is how I passed my Sec+ first time:

- Watch all of Professor Messers videos and make notes where I can - https://www.professormesser.com/security-plus/sy0-501/sy0-501-training-course/
    - Thoroughly study the notes and go over each one. Try one of his study groups afterwards to see how your knowledge compares. Revise your weak areas.
    - Use the CompTIA Sec+ objectives and mark each section as a checklist so I knew every point that could come up in the exam (this really helped): https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-security-sy0-501-exam-objectives.pdf
    - If you like using books, go over Darril Gibsons book if you can. I haven't used it myself but heard a lot of good reviews.
    - Use practice tests to test your knowledge:
    IT Certification Practice Tests and Exams | Online Courses | MeasureUp

Advice for the exam:
    - SKIP the simulation questions until last. They may pop up at the very start and catch you offguard. They take the most time to complete so leave them until later (there's usually only a handful).
    - Go through all multiple choice questions and answer the ones you are 100% or near confident in. Don't spend too long on a single question. If you don't know one, flag it and come back later.
    - Stick with your first answer. Usually your gut instinct choice is right first time, and when I changed my mind I got it wrong.

You are timed so you need to progress quickly, but don't rush. Take your time and follow what I did and you are bound to pass.

Hope this helps.

thanks Skyliinez92

I'm network + certified and I remember I struggled thru performance based questions that time and that is the reason for my anxiety about simulations. I'm studying Darril Gibson's book in depth and applying exam cram & David Prowse wherever I feel darril gobson's reference is insufficient. Will start watching Prof. Messer;s videos as well. Planning to purchase Darril Gibson's questions bank and measureup question bank.

I hope the difficulty of sims in sec+ is not as bad as net+. I don't have any experience in IT and that makes things little more difficult for me.

Are Sec+ sims as difficult as net+?

I would definitely watch Professor Messer. I used his videos alone with a couple of side resources and past first time within a month. I wouldn't advise doing that if you don't feel comfortable, but it's just to explain that the exam isn't as hard as you think, especially if you've already done the Net+.

There is a lot of cross-over with the Net+ and Sec+, as the Security exam goes into network security at times, so you may find things pop up that you already new from your network exam. The simulation questions aren't that difficult. The whole exam layout is similar to the Net+, so expect to see the sims pop up first.

If you are worried about simulation questions refer back to MeasureUps. Some of the questions that come as part of the bundle are simulation based, such as drag and drop, fill in the blank, case studies etc. These will really help you.

Thanks a lot. Some great advise my friend. !! I appreciate it.
  • jrwashingtonjrwashington Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great advice on how to approach taking the exam. At my college one of my professors followed this approach and produced a blog page where he outlined the approach, having us learn how to guess intelligently. As he pointed out, we can't know all the answers and sometimes CompTIA exam questions are not worded all that well. Take a look at his blog page at: https://slinthicum.edublogs.org/2017/02/
    thanks guys ! I passed my security + today (820/900). 
  • promethuschowpromethuschow Member Northern VA, NYCMember Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!!