Passed CEH today

julienr78julienr78 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
My employer requested that I add CEH to my credentials so they can add it to the roster. They paid for everything so it was a no-brainer.

My background:
I have 20 yrs IT experience including system and network administration as well as security analysis and auditing. I am CISSP and CISA certified. I'm currently working doing risk assessments and pen testing as a consultant.

I applied for and was granted an eligibility waiver.

Training Material:
ALL-IN-ONE - Matt Walker with the accompanying Practice Exam book.

I read the Scott Walker book cover to cover, took a few practice exams (books and CDs). The night (last night) before the exam I memorized the stuff that you usually don't use day to day (tcp flag numbers, ICMP Types and Codes, Cryptographic key lengths, etc).

The Test: (Disclaimer: I have always been a quick test taker in school, college and other certs.)

It took me a while to find the room where the test was administered, it was in a community college that spans 2 buildings and there was no clear indication where it was. Finally made it. They checked my ID and set me up.

Personally, I found the real thing to be much easier than the practice exams. When I take exams, I flag any questions which I'm not 100% sure of the answer. In this instance, I only flagged 9 out of 125. There didn't seem to be a lot of "trick" questions, where 2 answers could be correct, it was just really obvious to me which was correct.

It took me about an hour to answer everything and review my flagged questions, it seemed a bit ridiculous to hit "end exam" with 3 hours remaining, but I wasn't going to change anything. The screen popped up showing I passed. Sweet!

I know this is more of an "entry level" exam, but I was seriously surprised at how easy the exam was, I had no doubt that I had passed when submitting. (I hope that doesn't come off as conceited).

One thing I noticed is that some questions were really badly written. Not in the sense that it didn't make sense, but more like the person writing the question wasn't a native English speaker. Bad grammar and a lot of spelling mistakes. Seems weird to me that it would make it pass any type of QA. This is coming from a native French speaker.

Comments