Options

CyberCriminal do you feel bad when you got them?

faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
If the cybercriminal broke the code of transmission. Then if they get charge do you feel bad when they get caught?

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hell, no. I'm upset that they often get away with it and if/when they get caught they don't get enough. And surprisingly the infosec community has compassion towards them, e.g. Marcus Hutchins, who I hope ends up in prison and for long. Mind blowing.

Some specific cases could be different though as some didn't mean to hurt anyone etc.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well for Marcus Hutchins, one good move (registering a domain) should not erase all past crimes. However, many security researcher and infosec are on the edge of the white/black hat.. and it leave some compassion to one of "them". IT people respect technical ability as a kind of meritocraty, it leave us a bit vulnerable in our evaluation of someone.
  • Options
    krokodilokrokodilo Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hell, no. I'm upset that they often get away with it and if/when they get caught they don't get enough. And surprisingly the infosec community has compassion towards them, e.g. Marcus Hutchins, who I hope ends up in prison and for long. Mind blowing.

Some specific cases could be different though as some didn't mean to hurt anyone etc.

Assuming he actually commited illegal acts. Presumption of innocence is a basic right in a democracy.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    krokodilo wrote: »
    Assuming he actually commited illegal acts. Presumption of innocence is a basic right in a democracy.

I'm convinced regardless of the trial. Plus, pretty much all the western countries are too soft on any types of crime at the moment IMO.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    krokodilo wrote: »

Unless you get accused of sexual harassment.

Then your guilty period. Publicly ridiculed, fired from your job, etc. All from someone who accuses you for something you may or may not have done 10 years ago, usually way past the statute of limitations. I feel if you do not file charges within a reasonable amount of time, you lose the right to publicly accuse someone of a crime years later. It should be automatic grounds for a defamation lawsuit.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    krokodilokrokodilo Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Unless you get accused of sexual harassment.

Then your guilty period. Publicly ridiculed, fired from your job, etc. All from someone who accuses you for something you may or may not have done 10 years ago, usually way past the statute of limitations. I feel if you do not file charges within a reasonable amount of time, you lose the right to publicly accuse someone of a crime years later. It should be automatic grounds for a defamation lawsuit.

This is true, but the conviction rates for crimes of a sexual nature are so low anyway.

Do you hold the same views regarding **** war criminals?