Options

Need Help Please!

Banana RamaBanana Rama Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I am learning about the cpu in comp tia a+ book and I am being asked to follow a ''simple exercise'', but i'm confused about what the book is asking me to do:

''Now that you have learned what components are involved in the process, try the following simple exercise to see how the process works. In this example, you tell the CPU to add 2 + 3.To do this, you must send a series of commands to the CPU; the CPU will act on each command, eventually giving you an answer.Refer to the codebook in Figure 4-7 to translate the instructions you're giving the Man in the Box into binary commands.

Did you try it? Here's how it works:
1. Place 10000000 on the external data bus (EDB).
2. Place 00000010 on the EDB.
3.Place 10010000 on the EDB.
4.Place 00000011on the EDB.
5.Place 10110000 on the EDB.
6. Place 11000000 on the EDB.

When you finish step 6, the value on the EDB will be 00000101, the decimal number 5 written in binary.
Congrats! You just added 2 + 3 by using individual commands from the codebook.''

Here is the codebook image: https://imgur.com/5A1jrYg

What are they asking me to do on my computer here, I don't understand...

Comments

• Options
    FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What are they asking me to do on my computer here, I don't understand...
    They're not asking you to do anything on your computer. You're working on your imaginary 8088 Intel processor and they want you to think in machine language. They're showing you how an 8-bit data bus is used to feed both instructions and data into the CPU, making it do simple math.

Tick 1: Inform the CPU that the next 8-bits are numerical data for register A.
    Tick 2: Load number 2 into register A.
    Tick 3: Inform the CPU that the next 8-bits are numerical data for register B.
    Tick 4: Load number 3 into register B.
    Tick 5: Perform addition of reg A and reg B, the result goes into reg A.
    Tick 6: **** the contents of reg A onto the output bus.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh I see, it makes sense now after reading the chapter back again, thank you.