Options

dodgy questions

mystery_man33mystery_man33 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was taking a practise test (in certification mode) using Microsoft’s readiness review suite (Updated for SP2) when I got the following question. I would be interested to see what other people would put for the correct answer. I will post the answer that I was given in a short while.

Q. You are configuring a computer for Lyle, a member of the Web development team. The computer runs Microsoft Windows XP Professional and is not a domain member. The computer will be used to test the Web site as it is developed. Lyle needs to be able to change the screen resolution while testing the Web site. Lyle should not be allowed to create and manage user accounts or install device drivers.
You create an account for Lyle using Computer Management.
What additional steps must you take to allow Lyle to perform his job?

a. Using the User Accounts Control Panel utility, change Lyle’s account to a Computer Administrator account.
b. Using the User Accounts Control Panel utility, change Lyle’s account to a Limited User account.
c. Using Computer Management, add Lyle to the Power Users group.
d. Using Computer Management, add Lyle to the HelpServicesGroup group.

Comments

• Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Kevin_cambs_ukKevin_cambs_uk Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    B
    That will allow him to change the resolution.

C would alow him to create account which the question states he should not,
    A is admins which is out of the question, and D there is no such group
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with Kevin - B. When you set up the first local user account on XP it is by default a member of the admins group. So you must change it to a limited user.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah i think B would be the correct answer.

but here is a question. why would anyone want to use the User Accounts Control Panel utility in XP pro, lol. I hate that way of managing users. But i guess you have to do it that way in XP Home Edition from what ive seen in my using it a couple times ;(
  • Options
    swilkersonswilkerson Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Agree with Kevin above
  • Options
    This was the answer and explanations provided from the testing software.
    You should add Lyle’s account to the Power Users group, using Computer Management. The Power Users group can change the screen resolution, but cannot create and manage user accounts or install device drivers.

You should not add Lyle’s account to the HelpServicesGroup. The HelpServicesGroup is a special group used by the Help and Support Center. Its only member is the SUPPORT account.

You should not make Lyle’s account a Computer Administrator. A Computer Administrator is a member of the Administrators group and has full control over the computer, including the ability to create and manage user accounts and install device drivers.

You should not make Lyle’s account a Limited User account. A Limited User is a member of the Users group and does not have the right to change display settings.

My answer was none of the above.
    If the account has just been created then by default it becomes a member of the Users group. Contrary to the above answer, members of the Users group DO have the right to change the screen resolution.
    I have noticed a few other questions that that also seem a bit dodgy.
    The one thing that worries me is that if the same people writing these practise questions are writing the real exam questions then not only do we need to know the correct answers, we also need to know the incorrect Microsoft answers.

Anybody else come across a dodgy question?
  • Options
    Kevin_cambs_ukKevin_cambs_uk Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In all honesty I found thre questions n the MSPress CD totally impossible. I could only get get a few right because they were too long winded. The exam questions were so much more straight forward, and in my opinion easier.

If I had been given 60 questions off that CD I wouls still be trying to pass !
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    I think when you create a user for Lyle using computer management, it will be a limited user account by default. Contrary, if you use the manage users account in control panel(XP), then thats when it becomes an admin account by default. For this reason i agree with answer C.
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    Alien wrote:
    I think when you create a user for Lyle using computer management, it will be a limited user account by default. Contrary, if you use the manage users account in control panel(XP), then thats when it becomes an admin account by default. For this reason i agree with answer C.

But the question states that
    You create an account for Lyle using Computer Management
    and a member of the User group does have the right to change screen resolution and so the correct answer should be to do nothing.
  • Options
    chicken13chicken13 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, but you need to know the answer that THEY want to get the mark. Once you've got that - then your good.

The fact that in reality it's something different is neither here nor there!

"Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; when it is bad, it is better than nothing." - Dick Brandon
  • Options
    Sandjoseph wrote:
    Sorry, but you need to know the answer that THEY want to get the mark. Once you've got that - then your good.

I agree, but their answer is completely wrong. How do you know what the correct - "wrong" answer to give is?
    If you were presented with this question in the real exam - what do you do?
    I think we all agree that answers A and D are incorrect but answer C is just as incorrect as answer B.
  • Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well answer B is correct. A limited user account can change the display settings.No issue is there.Power user can install the device drivers ,,so it shudn't be the correct answer.
  • Options
    K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    I most certainly agree the answer is B,you don't have to add the users to the power users group as the limited user can still perfom the task of changing the resolution.

I do this all the time ....the readiness review suite may say it is wrong but we all know it is correct.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."