Options

Applying credits from a previous bachelors to another?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Any idea if there are universities out there that accept credits from a previous degree? Maybe a website that has info? I've "googled" quite a bit and came up with 0.

Maybe this is a case by case basis and school by school.....

Have any of you done this before?

Comments

• Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it depends on the level of accreditation at each school. When I finished my first bachelor's degree, I immediately started work on a second one. They were at the same university, so it was easy. I would contact the university you want to attend and ask them about their policy.
  • Options
    TJ thanks for sharing your experiences.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If it is a regionally accredited degree, it can vary by school but you can typically transfer your lower level courses, and some of the upper ones, but each school has a matriculation requirement where a certain percentage of the degree must be done at that school.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    If it is a regionally accredited degree, it can vary by school but you can typically transfer your lower level courses, and some of the upper ones, but each school has a matriculation requirement where a certain percentage of the degree must be done at that school.

Thanks for the heads up appreciate it. Both of you.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »

Excelsior college doesn't -- or at least at one time they didn't. I obtained a degree from them based on transfers from probably 4 different schools and a little bit of CLEP without ever taking a single class from them. I don't know if they do that anymore and I don't even bother listing that degree anymore--definitely skipped getting a class ring there.

On the other side of the spectrum I remember reading that the online IT degree offered by Harvard requires at least one semester on-campus in order to graduate.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    I don't even bother listing that degree anymore--definitely skipped getting a class ring there.

Curious as to what degree/major you received from them and why don't you list it? A CAE-CD school cant be that bad, can it?
    Have any employers disregarded your degree from Excelsior? Any other negatives about them?
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tekn0logy wrote: »
    Curious as to what degree/major you received from them and why don't you list it? A CAE-CD school cant be that bad, can it?
    Have any employers disregarded your degree from Excelsior? Any other negatives about them?

If it was my only degree I'd list it. It happens to be an associates in a non-related field. I actually have two associates like that that I don't list. I already have a bachelor's in business admin, a master's in information systems, plenty of certs, and several years of relevant experience, so those are enough.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP