Options

Why sre SANS certifications so undervalued?

2»

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Do you mean simlets or full on practical exercises?
  • Options
    markmorowmarkmorow Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont know what I can share but they were just like the practice exam where the question asks you to perform an action or determine something using the tools from the class. It was a machine with a command prompt and all that in the browser.
  • Options
    Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    GIAC exams are not hands-on, for now.

SEC503 and SEC660 both have hands on portions. I Beta Tested it for SEC504 last year as well. So I'm guessing it is next in the docket.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but the GPEN exam you don't actually pentest anything during the exam? .......

No, now you might be given something to analyze (packet capture, malware sample, results of a vulnerability scan) and they ask you questions about it, but GIAC exams are not interactive.
    SEC503 and SEC660 both have hands on portions.

These are not exams, these are courses. The GCIA and GXPN exams may have something to Analyze during the exam, but I don't believe they are interactive at all.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    These are not exams, these are courses. The GCIA and GXPN exams may have something to Analyze during the exam, but I don't believe they are interactive at all.

Sorry for not talking in the 4-letter certification. But both GCIA and GXPN have hands-on portions for the GIAC tests. Hence why if you look them up they give a range of the number of questions and not a set amount as you would see for others. They are interactive. The same will most likely be for GCIH as I beta tested that last year. It gives you a scenario and asks you to go into a VM and find the answer within that VM.
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    No, now you might be given something to analyze (packet capture, malware sample, results of a vulnerability scan) and they ask you questions about it, but GIAC exams are not interactive.

This is not true. I've taken GXPN - the last 6 questions or so involve you being dropped into a VM and interacting with it to get the answer.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I also SME beta tested the VM scenarios for GIAC a while ago. I just had no idea they went to prod with them.