Options

DHCP router configuration for 640-801

awaisyboyawaisyboy Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it part of the CCNA exam topics?

especially sim based questions.

Comments

• Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well i didn't find any question related to Dhcp configuration in the exam and it is not included in sybax as well cisco press books .however there is a brief introduction of it in CNAP (cisco network academy Programme).well its not tough, so u should prepare it.why to take risk?
    main command is ip helper adddress command.
  • Options
    HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    on the actual test i took, no nat dhcp questions were given. There was however one or possibly two nat overload related questions. You should learn all nat configurations, i think theres 3 main ones static, dhcp, and overload.

There were also no Dhcp pool questions on my test either.
  • Options
    HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have a lab setup at home and want to connect it to the internet, using different nat configurations and dhcp pool is needed to get the most out of your lab for internet access. To make your router and switch do its job like a dlink or link sys router you would need nat overload configured with dhcp pool for lan hosts.

To connect inside your lab network via remote desktop or vnc type program from an external lan you would have to configure static nat for a lan host to allow external connection. But yea those are just 2 reasons to learn nat, many other ways to apply it too.
  • Options
    SpudageSpudage Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HELLZxPHADER, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, it seems like you are confusing the two separate technologies that are NAT and DHCP.

The three main NAT configurations are static, dynamic, and overload.

Dynamic NAT however is not the same as DHCP. Dynamic NAT translates yours address(es) as they pass through the router (this translation utilises an unused IP address from the NAT pool and happens in the source and/or destination fields of each packet)

DHCP on the other hand assigns IP addresses to those hosts who request them.

Of course you can use NAT to translate an IP address that was assigned by DHCP. But you certainly don't need to use DHCP to utilise NAT.

If you already knew all that and I simply misunderstood you, no harm done. I'm sure someone else can benefit from what I just wrote. ;)

As for the original posters question... The Cisco Press books that I used to prepare for the exam (Odom's INTRO and ICND) only breifly touched on the concept of DHCP and did not mention the actual configuration process at all.

In short: At no point in the exam did I feel like DHCP wasn't covered adequately. ;)
  • Options
    the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
    I passed the exam last month. there was no DHCP questions for me. I think it's not on ccna test scope.