CCNA Expires in Jan 2019

ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I tried researching this online am a little confused and was hoping someone knew the answer. My CCNA is set to expire in 2 months. Rather than take the exam again, I would like to move forward to the CCNP. I know that there is no way I can pass all 3 exams in a 2 month period.

I think it is possible for me to pass the 300-115 - Switch exam. It looks like that if I pass this exam it will renew my cert, but I am not 100% sure of that. is one test enough to renew and for how long if so? Cisco's site uses the following for an example:

[h=2]Recertification[/h]

CCNA Routing and Switching certifications are valid for three years. To recertify, pass ONE of the following before the certification expiration date:
  • Pass any current 642-XXX Professional-level or any 300-XXX Professional-level exam,
When using a higher level of certification to extend other certifications, the expiration date of other certifications will extend to the expiration date of the higher certification (i.e.: If you have one year left on your CCNA Routing and Switching certification and you earn a CCIE certification (which has a two-year certification life) then both your CCIE certification and your CCNA Routing and Switching certification will expire two years from the date you achieved the CCIE certification).

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You just need to pass one of the exams to extend your CCNA. I let mine expire and now I have to retake the CCNA before the CCNP so I suggest you renew if you can.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pass one CCNP exam and you are good to go.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take SWITCH and it will be valid for 3 years, which means your CCNA will also renew and be valid for 3 years.

Typically TSHOOT is taken last, so within the 3 years take ROUTE and you are good for another 3 years on your CCNA until you need to take TSHOOT. Of course I wouldn't recommend waiting that long though lol...
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thx for advice. I am pretty comfortable in switching, do lots of it. Afterwords I'll hit up routing, then tshoot. I feel like routing is going to be my weakest, since once i config a router, there is very little to do besides firmware updates for a long time.