Start Up Company Searching for 1099 Instructors

AtlasSolutionsPlusAtlasSolutionsPlus Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! I’m new here :) I stumbled across this page yesterday and thought it would be a great resource. Looking for some insight from those of you who are experts in this field as I am new to it. I am in process of helping a new start up education, training and certification company. We are looking for 1099 instructors to teach the classes and I know some of you are just that. I have been having the hardest time trying to find brokers that 1099 instructors work with, almost like a hire out agency. Or do most 1099 instructors work directly with the company they are training for? Daily pay or hourly pay? And what is typical? I have seen hourly ranging from $25-50 and daily rates ranging from $800-$1000. Also, what do the companies include in your training stay: hotel room, per diem, rental car? Really just trying to figure out all of the aspects that we will need. Any insight is much appreciated because, as mentioned, this is all uncharted waters for me. Thanks so much!

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why don't you just post in the usual places like LinkedIn, Indeed, Dice, etc.?

If there's travel involved, most people would expect that you cover the travel expenses.

I've been offered USD$75/hr to teach and certification classes before but I have no idea if that's the going rate.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have seen rates all over the place. It depends on the certification, experience of the trainer, etc. As for additional things required: hotel, airfare, etc will play into the costs. So instructors require food, airfare, and hotel on top of the daily/weekly fee.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • AtlasSolutionsPlusAtlasSolutionsPlus Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input Paul and Stryder. I planned on connecting with individual certified trainers via LinkedIn, but wanted to verify a good offer price before listing on actual job sites.

Is it typical that a certifies instructor will only teach one type of exams, for example CompTIA or EC Council? Or will they fluctuate between multiple classes?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it typical that a certifies instructor will only teach one type of exams, for example CompTIA or EC Council? Or will they fluctuate between multiple classes?
    Sorry but I don't know. I instruct only one certification class but that's because I have an interest in it. And I do it gratis because the certification body is a non-profit and I have a relationship with the group. They cover all my expenses when I travel but that's really all that I ask from them. They had offered to pay me $75/hr which is what I mentioned above but I don't invoice them and instead I ask for referrals for my business instead.

I am unfamiliar with the for-profit instruction model.
  • infosecsinfosecs Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's done in a very different way. Let me know how to get hold of you