Options

do i need a fixed IP from my isp?

the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
I decided to build my own lab for CCNP, instead of NetSim. I'm wandering weather i need to apply for a fixed ip? if not, what would the topology be? any other application need to install on my computer? any website to recommend?

I have one 2620 with a serial wic, 3 of 2520. thanx!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    madonion wrote:
    I decided to build my own lab for CCNP, instead of NetSim. I'm wandering weather i need to apply for a fixed ip? if not, what would the topology be?
    Why are you asking about a fixed IP? Do you want to access your lab remotely?

You are covered for frame-relay with those 2520s.

Look for a Radius or TACACS+ server for the PC, and a syslog server.

What about switches?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Mike, I'm a bit unclear about the connection chart.

I have cable internet, so I consider the rj45 port from the cable modem has the address that I get from my isp. then do i place a router acting as the NAT router? the address from isp is already a private one, so I just translate from one private serials(i plan to use 172.16.0.0) to PAT to another private address? any homelab's like this? that's what i've been confusing.

I got one 2924xm-en, i consider passing BCSI first. may buy more when it's time. Thanks for your advice in other posts, I bought according to what u recommended.
  • Options
    madonion wrote:
    I have cable internet, so I consider the rj45 port from the cable modem has the address that I get from my isp. then do i place a router acting as the NAT router? the address from isp is already a private one, so I just translate from one private serials(i plan to use 172.16.0.0) to PAT to another private address?

Yep, that sounds like the best way to start.

Hum..... if your cable is like mine -- you probably don't need a static IP, mine hardly ever changes. You might consider one of the dynamic DNS services, just in case, if you want to do remote access to your lab.

Without a router with dual LAN ports...... sounds like a job for the 2620 and Router on a Stick! .... and maybe a crossover cable from the cable modem to a switch port in its own VLAN. Should be interesting -- nat and subinterfaces!

Are you sure the cable IP is private? Is it like a linksys cable/dsl router with built-in Cable Modem? My DSL is like that, with the option to pass-thru the real internet IP or to NAT and pass-thru a private address.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Its prolly a Classless IP. A little different that private.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Are you sure the cable IP is private? Is it like a linksys cable/dsl router with built-in Cable Modem? My DSL is like that, with the option to pass-thru the real internet IP or to NAT and pass-thru a private address.

right. i noticed it's always 192.168.0.102, when i added in my wireles laptop, one more ip 192.168.0.104.

the thing is, I guess the isp NAT my 192.168.0.102 into public, and I'm gonna PAT all my ip address into this 192.168.0.102. will it really work?
  • Options
    madonion wrote:
    mikej412 wrote:

right. i noticed it's always 192.168.0.102, when i added in my wireles laptop, one more ip 192.168.0.104.

the thing is, I guess the isp NAT my 192.168.0.102 into public, and I'm gonna PAT all my ip address into this 192.168.0.102. will it really work?
    It will work... it may just slow down your connection a bit.

I just put one lab interface on my existing home network when I started, and just routed from there. Then when I was doing NAT in the lab, I wasn't slowing down my normal web surfing.

When I needed remote access I'd just set the Linksys DMZ address to forward to a lab router (and do a VPN tunnel).